Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cass Scenic Railroad Climax 9 post 3

Date: 10/27/20 11:06
Cass Scenic Railroad Climax 9 post 3
Author: steamfan49

Climax 9 rolling beside the Greenbrier River on the Cass Scenic Railroad, November 2019.  No whistle, but I like the video...

Ronnie McCallay
Cañon City, CO

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/27/20 13:08
Re: Cass Scenic Railroad Climax 9 post 3
Author: jkh2cpu

Maybe no whistle, but the exhaust was fine :-)

John.

Date: 10/27/20 13:34
Author: HotWater

Just my opinion but, the vast majority of videos of steam locomotive runbys have WAY TOO MUCH whistling, which overpowers the music of the exhaust. Thus, I like your video a LOT!!!!!

Date: 10/27/20 17:38
Author: grizzledgary

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just my opinion but, the vast majority of videos
> of steam locomotive runbys have WAY TOO MUCH
> whistling, which overpowers the music of the
> exhaust. Thus, I like your video a LOT!!!!!

My feelings exactly, I'd welcome more videos like this anytime. Thanks for sharing this one with us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/20 17:39 by grizzledgary.

Date: 10/27/20 19:18
Author: andersonb109

Totally agree. Whistles should only be used when operating rules call for such as grade crossings, bridges etc. Go do a charter in Europe (should it ever again be allowed) and you will notice whistles are few and far between. Hopefully someone at Cass involved in the upcoming photographer's specials will take note. 

Date: 10/28/20 03:56
Author: steamfan49

Thanks to all, for the comments regarding whistles, or perhaps the excessive use of same.  Most of the steam video I shoot, is to share with a much younger audience of nieces, nephews, cousins, friends, etc., and they love the "choo-choo" whistle, so I sometimes forget that not all of my audience are 50 or 60 years younger than me.  I'll try to share more "whistleless" videos on this site.  Thanks again for the input.

Ronnie McCallay
Cañon City, CO

Date: 10/28/20 05:34
Author: PlyWoody

When is the State going to complete the construction of the one bridge blocking through trains from Cass to Durbin?  It was forecast to have been completed by now. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/20 06:22 by PlyWoody.

Date: 10/28/20 13:46
Author: Appalachianrails

This was during the Trains Magazine photo charter last year. It was requested to Jim Wrinn that some runbys were done without whistle so DGVR happily obliged.

Assuming you are one of the ones attending next week, contact Walter to make sure your request for runbys with no whistle is made known to him so that DGVR is aware.

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Totally agree. Whistles should only be used when
> operating rules call for such as grade crossings,
> bridges etc. Go do a charter in Europe (should it
> ever again be allowed) and you will notice
> whistles are few and far between. Hopefully
> someone at Cass involved in the upcoming
> photographer's specials will take note. 

Date: 10/28/20 13:53
Author: Appalachianrails

Be on the lookout for an official update from DGVR regarding the Trout Run bridge soon.....

PlyWoody Wrote:
> When is the State going to complete the
> construction of the one bridge blocking through
> trains from Cass to Durbin?  It was forecast to
> have been completed by now. 

Date: 10/29/20 04:41
Author: PlyWoody

That will be great to get that line back open.  But to help prevent any new flood from doing damage again I suggest the State helps further by buying two dozen car loads of the giant granite ROCK that is presently being shipped by rail out of Barrie quarry in Vermont.  The boulder could be placed in the edge of river where erosion happens on bends in river, and placed near track so they block flood water at critical spots.  With the bridge replaced, interstate movement of traffic can reach Durbin via the Cass Switchbacks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/20 04:18 by PlyWoody.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds