Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Steam & Excursion > C&TSRR = John Bush Retires

Date: 11/16/20 04:19
C&TSRR = John Bush Retires
Author: Wacky-roger1942

John and his wife Veronica plan on staying Chama. They are the new owners of the Gandy Dancer Bed & Breakfast.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

Date: 11/16/20 06:35
Re: C&TSRR = John Bush Retires
Author: Bob3985

I wish John all the best in his retirement and thank him for his years of leadership on the C&TS.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/16/20 08:49
Author: cozephyr

Thanks John for all you've done to maintain the C&TS and its operations.  Enjoy your retirement-!

Date: 11/16/20 09:04
Author: tomstp

Hard to say what the greatest asset he was to C&TS.  I would choose him showing workers the correct suspension  and movement of the front drivers of the engines as one thing that has to be included.  Prior to his assesment  of the locomotives they were constantly wearing out the the front driver flanges.  Somewhere I have a copy of his assesment which is several pages long.

His ability to get things done with a limited budget is certainly a hi-lite.

Here is link to his assesment
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,154743,154743#msg-154743

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/20 09:21 by tomstp.

Date: 11/16/20 10:22

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish John all the best in his retirement and
> thank him for his years of leadership on the C&TS.

Thanks for commenting.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

Date: 11/16/20 10:22

cozephyr Wrote:
> Thanks John for all you've done to maintain the
> C&TS and its operations.  Enjoy your retirement-!

Thanks for commenting.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

Date: 11/16/20 10:23

tomstp Wrote:
> Hard to say what the greatest asset he was to
> C&TS.  I would choose him showing workers the
> correct suspension  and movement of the front
> drivers of the engines as one thing that has to be
> included.  Prior to his assesment  of the
> locomotives they were constantly wearing out the
> the front driver flanges.  Somewhere I have a
> copy of his assesment which is several pages
> long.
>
> His ability to get things done with a limited
> budget is certainly a hi-lite.
>
> Here is link to his assesment
> http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,154743,1
> 54743#msg-154743

Thanks for commenting.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

Date: 11/16/20 11:27
Author: tehachcond

That is going to be some very big shoes to fill.  We knew each other from a long time ago but had lost contact.  We accidently ran into him  and had lunch with him at Osier while we were riding the train.  Super nice guy.  As a note, he'd been flagging the highway crossings between Chama and Cumbres..

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 11/16/20 11:44
Author: callum_out

John was under appreciated and his guidance and achievements saved the railroad during difficult times. I think it's cool
that his retirement project is right across the street from the railroad.

Out 

Date: 11/16/20 12:25
Author: kennbritt

Veronica and John are wonderful people. I look forward to meeting up with them again in their newest endeavor.

Kennard Britton
Bedford, TX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/20 12:33 by kennbritt.

Date: 11/16/20 12:37
Author: Cumbresfan

Attached is a link to full notes of Saturday's Commission meeting prepared by Sam Seiber who always does a good job providing much detailed information.
http://train.sbseiber.com/CTM2020Nov14.html

The notes include John's resignation letter posted in full below:

Engine 483 was running east at Laboto under its brand new name of Cumbres and Toltec the first time I rode the railroad in the fall of 1970. It was the first trip eastbound after the 483 brought the equipment to Chama. The crew allowed me to ride from second road crossing in a gondola car to the top of the pass as the rail was rusty and there were tent caterpillars, if I was willing to sand track. I said I would, and I felt it was a good trade. I was only 22, but already I knew it was an amazing that this opportunity was even possible.

Even then railroads like ours, and the lives built around them were fading from memory. I grew up in the twilight of steam and wild dreams about my own life, of warming my hands over the firebox one October storm, of the satisfaction I would feel disconnecting the lead engine at Cumbress and knowing the train got there on the power of my shovel, and the idea that some day the train back to Chama yard I would look up to the homes on Terrace Avenue and see my family waving back to me as we passed the coal tipple.

They were dreams that I felt so fragile that I even worried that even given voice to them would surely prevent them from becoming a reality. They did however become a reality and so many more, more than I ever expected and more than I deserve. I've always taken great pride in the fact that Colorado and New Mexico hold mutual stakes in the existence and preservation of the C&TS. Investments by both states legislatures ensure our railroads survival. They're really making it a railroad for all of us. Our railroad, our history, our dreams, and our memories. It has been my privilege to be a steward of our railroad during a time that brought more riders, features on film and television and residents around the world that our railroad and the community that exist here, the last place on earth where the spirit of the west does not just live but thrives.

That is why it is hard for me to say this is my last letter I will write as president of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. Fulfilling dreams as impossible as mine would have been impossible without the tremendous support of the community, of the friends, of the enthusiasts for the west, and mine in particular without the help of my wife Veronica, who has followed me to all corners of the earth as I have tried to pursue this career. This is why in retirement I am excited now to help her fulfill her dreams when the covid crisis has passed of running a Victorian bed and breakfast here in Chama. Lucky for me, it happens to be only a block away from the railroad, and the people I love most.

I am excited for what is in store for the future of our railroad and our community and I will do what ever I can from my side of the tracks, and you can guarantee you will see me cheering you on and welcoming you home. Near that overlook on Terrace Avenue above the coal tipple.

With gratitude and a full heart I thank you for the opportunity to have served these last 8 years. Thank You.

Edit: The above was copied from Sam's notes. I inserted paragraph breaks to make it more readable. I have no access to the original letter.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.088 seconds