Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Steam & Excursion > Ralph Hallock Tweetsie #12

Date: 11/22/20 14:15
Ralph Hallock Tweetsie #12
Author: Conch

Several years ago, I was fortunate to pick up some slides from Ralph Hallock before he passed away.  Like many shooters in the early Kodachrome days,  Ralph shot color almost as an afterthought, with black and white being his preferred medium back in the day.   And like so many of those early images,  the low film speed and high train speeds caused many to suffer from motion blur or depth of field issues. That said, he captured some gems from long ago and I've attached one for your enjoyment. 

Ralph had several images of the Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina in his collection and I just had to know more about how they came about.  It seems he was given at trip to Tweetsie country as a  a high school graduation present in 1944 to see and ride the ET&WNC during its last days.  The slow speeds and static views made for better slides than he was generrally able to get on Sherman Hill or the Moffat Route.  So here for your enjoyment is a view of Tweetsie #12 at Johnson City TN in the summer of 1944. 

Chuck Conway

Date: 11/22/20 14:48
Re: Ralph Hallock Tweetsie #12
Author: refarkas

A true treasure.
Bob

Date: 11/22/20 15:43
Author: gbmott

Priceless. 

Gordon

Date: 11/22/20 19:57
Author: Tominde

That is awesome.

Date: 11/23/20 08:44
Author: Notch7

That's a lengendary scene.  Thanks so much for posting it.

Date: 11/23/20 09:53
Author: steamfan759

Many thanks for posting this!!  It is great!!

Ron

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds