Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Steam & Excursion > ET&WNC A ride in Tweetsie country - Hallock

Date: 12/05/20 08:31
ET&WNC A ride in Tweetsie country - Hallock
Author: Conch

Our look at Ralph Hallock images of the ET&WNC continues as he rides a freight through the scenic Appalachian countryside.  Can any of you identify any of these locations or the direction they are traveling?  Looks like rural electrification is well in hand judging by all the poles seen in the gons this day.  Jimbo mentioned that the ET&WNC also operated commuter trains and I believe this linked b&w image of Ralph's illustrates those operations.  https://coloradorailroadmuseum.pastperfectonline.com/photo/F6FCD075-355B-4D7B-A3B4-995847246287.   Good seeing steam still playing a roll in Gordon's image from standard gauge days.  I honestly don't know if these were all from the same day or even the same trip but I find them fasinating all the same.  I wonder if this country is as bucolic today?.

Date: 12/05/20 11:07
Re: ET&WNC A ride in Tweetsie country - Hallock
Author: refarkas

True treasures.
Bob

Date: 12/05/20 14:43
Author: krm152

Hisroric treasures.  Wnd of WWII was over a year away.
Thanks for your terrific posting.
ALLEN

Date: 12/05/20 16:19
Author: gbmott

Wow!  I can't think of anything else to say.

Gordon 

Date: 12/05/20 16:52
Author: wabash2800

Very interesting. And a covered railroad bridge to boot! Thanks for sharing.

Victor A Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 12/05/20 18:08
Author: Tominde

I belive the bridge in the last picture is the Doe River Bridge.   The Doe River Gorge of the Tweetsie is pretty spectacular with tunnels, bridges and and cliffs, There are 2.5 miles of track on private property (Doe River Christian Ministry) and the occasionaly offer train rides to the public, or open for hiking in the off season. 

Date: 12/05/20 20:04
Author: GN599

Even I know how rare these are, thanks for a round 2 of the "Tweetsie"!

Date: 12/06/20 07:01
Author: WrongWayMurphy

WoW fantastic, hope there are more to,come.

Date: 12/06/20 07:26
Author: heatermason

Date: 12/06/20 08:02
Author: gregscholl

The last scene is interesting since the bridge is straight and the track curved.  I have some film from around 1947 with similar scenes onboard a freight.  I remember seeing that covered bridge among other things like tunnels.  Still researching the footage and since I have so little (8-10 minutes), not sure what video to put it with someday.  He had a few stills, including #12, plus some of those dead engines and combine shown earlier by this poster. Interesting railroading.
Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds