Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Steam & Excursion > AFT Confidential 6- San Diego, CA

Date: 01/14/21 02:56
AFT Confidential 6- San Diego, CA
Author: BoilingMan

AFT Confidential 6  San Diego, CA

The train moved from Anaheim to San Diego on January 14 for a 4 day stay.  My agreement was to meet the train there before they left.  If I missed it, they'd find someone else to take my place.
On the evening of Jan 18th I was on my way south aboard San Diegan 776. (the only remarkable thing I remember about the trip was that the trainset included an ATSF Pleasure Dome)  The AFT was on display at Miramar Naval Air Station. I'd calculated Del Mar was closer than San Diego itself, so I stepped off 776 there. Oops. The station was as dark as the surrounding area! No town really- just the sound of the ocean below. Great. I had 2hrs to figure this out.

There were 3 men at the far end of the platform smoking and talking quietly. I wandered down, said hello, and sheepishly explained my situation...
Dumb Luck: They were a Santa Fe crew called in to help with switching the AFT! And they saw no reason I couldn’t just ride up with them! 15min later a switcher and caboose rolled in, and we were off. I rode the cupola up to Miramar. We ran past the wye and backed in towards the Base gate. I was out on the rear with my grip when we braked to a stop- and there stood my new boss, Greg.

“You talked the Santa Fe into a lift?!    Well, OK, I don't how the hell you arranged THAT. But I 'spose it means you're gonna fit in well enough.” He turned and shouted, “Dave! New guy! Find him a bunk!”
Dave (Head of Day Operations) hustled me down to the 200 Car, my new home. He pointed to an upper full of boxes, “Clear that one out, and it's yours. Don't wander off, stay out of the way, and what ever you do: DON”T GET HURT! In fact, best if you stayed right here”. With that he banged back out through the door and into the fray.
I was alone.

From the vestibule door I watched. What I observed was a bewildering blur of what looked to be carefully orchestrated chaos. Switching, power on and off an on again, guys working alone and in groups, with little talk, and lots rushing around. At about 1am the crew (about 10 guys) piled onto the car and fell into their bunks, fully dressed. Dave was back. “Try and get some sleep- you've got about 2hrs, if that. Then we'll put you to work.”

It was a short 60-odd mile trip to San Juan Capistrano.  Sleep was impossible. The noise & motion were just too much when combined with adrenaline. My upper had no window, so I couldn’t guess what direction we were moving or our speed. However... I could hear the '49 working twenty cars forward- that was kinda cool!
SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Date: 01/14/21 09:11
Re: AFT Confidential 6- San Diego, CA
Author: wcamp1472

Your story is typical and common of early experiences upon volunteering with 
excursion outfits.  They're always undermanned, and in need of competent 
laborers and skilled problem solvers.

The ability to be resourceful, cheerful, and contributory is the key to getting started.
The other ability is the willingness "to listen"  and to take meaningful action....
without continuously 'seeking permission' to do the obvious.

When told to move the stuff off your bunk...you obviously figured out the 
politics of securing the moved stuff ----  for those that might, later,  come looking for it.

Accoring to your earlier posts, you 'solved' you lack of being able to look outside--
from your bunk.

Your adabtability is the common thread through your very readable,  "Gulliver's Travels" saga.
We can all learn from your experiences.

Are you ready for AFT-2 ?
See you there!

W.

Date: 01/14/21 10:40
Author: BoilingMan

W.  You've hit on a rather concise description of life in this sort of environment-  problem solving was a near constant.  We faced the unknown pretty much every day and I guess a common trait among the AFT staff in every department was that we all found this amusing.  It was all part of the grand adventure.   
Interestingly this personality trait has had it's highs and, well, challenges in my life.   After the AFT I drove for Greyhound for a few years.  Greyhound encouraged and rewarded on-the-spot problem solving.  It's exactly what they were looking for.  From Greyhound I jumped to Amtrak...   WHOA!  Amtrak supervisors were definitely of a different ilk!  Outside the box thinking was NOT appreciated!   On-the-spot problem solving was still needed to get the job done, but I found it best to go about it "under the radar".   I was with Amtrak for a little over 30yrs and I got pretty good at my job (LSA) but always found it best to keep it a mystery to my supervisors just how I did it.
SR

Date: 01/14/21 10:52
Author: ChrisCampi

"always found it best to keep it a mystery to my supervisors just how I did it. 
SR"

Sort of a common theme in many jobs I imagine. I know I learned to fly under the radar.

Date: 01/14/21 11:19
Author: wcamp1472

I'd bet that you're glad to be out of Amtrak in
today's environment.

I bounced around from different RRS...freight service..
Last assignment was Potomac Yards, Alexandria, Va.

Was undoubtedly the BEST assignment.
Was 'Master Mechanic' by title... 

Biggest difference from the earlier 'Roads was the access 
to the annual budgeting process.    I would get whatever I requested
through the budgeting process...   Which meant predicting, scheduling and continuously
upgrading the physical plant infrastructure, including our small loco fleet.
The overarching philosophy was to avoid break-downs and Train delays --- by any reasonable means.
Running equipment beyond its reasonable-life was seen as too risky ..

Working for that process was an absolute pleasure.... I Had ultimate backing for all 
the decisions I made.

Wes Camp.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds