a few more on Siskiyou Daylight
Author: Ardenwood

1.   New Era.  I think it is called south of Portland, OR December 17, '88
2.   Tolo, OR. the turning point for Siskiyou Daylight     December 17, '88
3.    Harrissburg, OR a shorter Siskiyou Daylight nbd on December 18, '88

Date: 01/15/21 18:18
Re: a few more on Siskiyou Daylight
Author: asheldrake

great pictures....new era is currently a bit of mess from a UP manafest hitting a tree last week.    Arlen

Date: 01/15/21 18:51
Author: refarkas

First-class set of images. Photo one would make a great magazine center spread.
Bob

Date: 01/16/21 04:51
Author: Keystone1

Yes...and run the magazine center fold right thru that damn diesel.

Date: 01/16/21 10:09
Author: gregscholl

My first runby of 4449 in Daylight colors was at New Era, Oregon in April 1989, en route to Los Angeles for the big LAUPT celebration.  Nils told me about the place.  We had no diesel, but only had 4449 water car and two support cars.  They ran like that to Oakland before collecting their train for the run to LA.  Big thing for me that day was a cab ride from Black Butte(Water tank--stopped for water), to Dunsmuir.  We hit about 60 around Shasta City as I recall, then all downgrade.  Hotwater suggested I should ride this segment for some good scenery.

Your shot of New Era was better than mine except for the diesel!  Out of your control obviously.

The only other time I saw 4449 in Daylight livery was 1990 for the Washington Steamfest trips(700 was there as well) on the then Washington Central.  Neat stuff with semaphores, Columbia River running, and more.  Glad I did it, cause you cannot now!

Greg Scholl

Date: 01/16/21 13:58

If I am right (I am often wrong after stroke) the Rio Grando diesel was there for a symbolic reason because Anschutz wanted to commemmorete Rio Grande and SP merger by the Siskiyou Day Light.  This might explain the mixing of SP Day Light colors and Rio Grande ski train in yellow and silver.
1.  This may be the train going to LAUPT50, ANY HELP ON THE DATE will be appreciated.  Taylo Lake (it sometimes has water) at the south end of Oregon
2.  The same train? going through New Era, OR date unkown..Help.
3.  The second shot at New Era, OR.  Again date unk nown.  Smoke may show that it is the same train.

Date: 01/16/21 14:06
Author: nycman

More beautiful photos, Haruo.

Date: 01/16/21 14:27
Author: sundance

# 1 is near the CA/OR border just south of Worden.

Date: 01/16/21 20:49
Author: coach

That last photo really shows how grogeous this locomotive is in DAYLIGHT paint.  No wonder SP ran lots of PR specials when the trainsets arrived--definitely a "WOW!" factor--really made people want to ride the train, and it worked!

And I've always loved those 3 steam-electric generators on top of the engine, near the cab.  Love their sound when I can hear them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/21 20:51 by coach.

Date: 01/16/21 21:21
Author: ProAmtrak

Great pics guys!

Posted from Android

Date: 01/16/21 21:22
Author: gregscholl

I would say none of those is the 1989 trip to LA.  The one spot where there is usually water----Is that southbound from Klamath Falls?  If so I agree its south of Warden.  We got some great reflections there in 1989, but it was a short train of 2 cars that year, so definiately not 1989 in your shots.  All very nice though.
Greg

Date: 01/16/21 21:36
Author: DRGWMark

Ardenwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>   If I am right (I am often wrong after stroke)
> the Rio Grando diesel was there for a symbolic
> reason because Anschutz wanted to commemmorete Rio
> Grande and SP merger by the Siskiyou Day Light. 
> This might explain the mixing of SP Day Light
> colors and Rio Grande ski train in yellow and
> silver.
> 1.  This may be the train going to LAUPT50, ANY
> HELP ON THE DATE will be appreciated.  Taylo Lake
> (it sometimes has water) at the south end of
> Oregon
> 2.  The same train? going through New Era, OR
> date unkown..Help.
> 3.  The second shot at New Era, OR.  Again date
> unk nown.  Smoke may show that it is the same
> train.

Judging by the consist - 10-12 cars including the Yes Dear tool car and Clackamas River sleeper - this would've been sometime in 1991 or '92. The 4449 made several trips between Portland and California those two years: once for Railfair '91, once for a series of goodwill excursions out of Redding, and one more time to San Jose for the 1992 NRHS convention.

Date: 01/16/21 23:02

Hi Greg,
    Is this it?  It sure is short. Haruo

Date: 01/20/21 14:54
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1307 seconds