Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Steam & Excursion > NKP 765

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/18/21 13:44
NKP 765
Author: refarkas

NKP 765 is on an eastbound ferry move on the W&LE on September 4, 2014. I did not make notes of the location, but this might be Wellington, Ohio.
Bob

Date: 02/18/21 13:49
Re: NKP 765
Author: MacBeau

That is one good looking locomotive.
—Mac

Date: 02/18/21 13:56
Author: NKP779

...and it can go just about anywhere.

Date: 02/18/21 15:03
Author: Keystone1

Nice picture.  Engine looks perfect without inauthentic tender coal boards.

Date: 02/18/21 15:38
Author: cornerfieldhobby

That is beautiful and perfect lighting!!

Date: 02/18/21 17:09
Author: UP951West

Man, that's a great shot !  Thanks for sharing. 

Date: 02/18/21 18:25
Author: junctiontower

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice picture.  Engine looks perfect without
> inauthentic tender coal boards.

Why don't you offer your services to the FWRHS to be the Operations Manager?  I'm quite sure you could teach them everything they need to know about the logistics of operating large steam locomotives as guests on someone else's railroad, the number of coal and water stops be damned.  Why aren't you bitching about the auxiliary water tender?  The Nickel Plate never had any of THOSE, either.  While I'm at it, the NKP never carried spare coal in gondolas and they didn't unload it with a mini excavator, and I've never seen an Tuscan Red tool car on an authentic NKP train either.  How about those inauthentic roller bearings on the trailer truck and on the tender too?  Yes, the NKP had some of THOSE  at the very end but #765 didn't.  If you're going to bitch, you might as well hit the trifecta.  Here's a little tidbit to make you have an aneurysm, Rich Melvin admitted he would have liked to convert  #765 to an oil burner, so he wouldn't have had to deal with coal AT ALL.

Date: 02/18/21 18:44
Author: BKLJ611

junctiontower Wrote:
> Keystone1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice picture.  Engine looks perfect without
> > inauthentic tender coal boards.
>
> Why don't you offer your services to the FWRHS to
> be the Operations Manager?  I'm quite sure you
> could teach them everything they need to know
> about the logistics of operating large steam
> locomotives as guests on someone else's railroad,
> the number of coal and water stops be damned. 
> Why aren't you bitching about the auxiliary water
> tender?  The Nickel Plate never had any of THOSE,
> either.  While I'm at it, the NKP never carried
> spare coal in gondolas and they didn't unload it
> with a mini excavator, and I've never seen an
> Tuscan Red tool car on an authentic NKP train
> either.  How about those inauthentic roller
> bearings on the trailer truck and on the tender
> too?  Yes, the NKP had some of THOSE  at the
> very end but #765 didn't.  If you're going to
> bitch, you might as well hit the trifecta. 
> Here's a little tidbit to make you have an
> aneurysm, Rich Melvin admitted he would have liked
> to convert  #765 to an oil burner, so he wouldn't
> have had to deal with coal AT ALL.

Wait, you mean to tell me it isn’t 1950?!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/18/21 19:21

Junctiontower....compromise, compromise, compromise.     Why bother even running these things anymore.  It is all over.      I bet I know how you voted.    Thank God for my Kodachrome, shot when things were done correctly.

Date: 02/18/21 19:25
Author: refarkas

I put this on to share a good memory not start something. Please, respect this.
Bob

Date: 02/18/21 19:35
Author: holiwood

Very nice picture, I like it

Date: 02/18/21 19:36

It's a great picture Bob.

Date: 02/18/21 19:56
Author: junctiontower

Keystone1 Wrote:
> Junctiontower....compromise, compromise,
> compromise.     Why bother even running these
> things anymore.  It is all over.      I bet I
> know how you voted.    Thank God for my
> Kodachrome, shot when things were done correctly.

Compromise?  Damn right it takes compromise to operate a piece of equipment like this on  a class one railroad who has little to gain by letting you do it at all.   You may just be right, it may actually be all over, but I DO know that if your inflexible attitude is allowed to rule the day, it absolutely IS over.  How about you just stop looking at it and commenting on it since it bothers you so much, and just let the rest of us enjoy it in peace?  P.S, Just because I'm a glutton for punishment and this isn't the place to discuss it, please private message me with your theory on who I voted for and how that applies to the subject at hand, because so far I have been unable to figure that one out.....  As for your Kodachrome, I wouldn't give you five cents for a boxcar load of the stuff.  Shooting film in 2021 is like trying to start a fire with two wooden sticks.

Date: 02/18/21 21:45
Author: pennsy3750

junctiontower Wrote:
> please private message me
> with your theory on who I voted for and how that
> applies to the subject at hand

Forget the PM, I'm dying to hear this too!

Date: 02/19/21 01:01
Author: ClubCar

refarkas Wrote:
> NKP 765 is on an eastbound ferry move on the W&LE
> on September 4, 2014. I did not make notes of the
> location, but this might be Wellington, Ohio.
> Bob
Thanks Bob for the beautiful photo of a beautiful locomotive.  I do not understand why anyone does not like this photo.  I'm only hoping that once the country is completely vaccinated from this horrible virus, we can once again go out and ride behind this engine and enjoy her once again.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/19/21 05:08
Author: chessie2101

Doesn’t “authentic” become a gray area anyways since steam locomotives typically underwent modifications when they were used in regular service? Headlights moved, feed water heaters swapped/replaced, tenders replaced, cabs changed, lettering changed, fuel conversions, all part of normal operation. Several railroads even totally rebuilt locomotives into different wheel arrangements. Are the extant Reading T-1’s not authentic since they were originally built as 2-8-0’s? I consider modern conversions to oil, coal bunker extensions, ditch lights, canteens, and tool cars to be the logical extension of the development of the machine to match the operating requirements, just like was done back in the day. If that’s what it takes to run mainline steam, fine with me.

I do support Keystone’s right to complain about it, I just see it differently.

Posted from iPhone

Jared Hamilton
Scott Depot, WV

Date: 02/19/21 05:45
Author: wcamp1472

"Opinions are like noses:
Everybody's got one & they all smell!"

( The 'polite' variant --- children, cover your ears...!)

​W

Date: 02/19/21 06:49
Author: Frisco1522

Keystone1 Wrote:
> Junctiontower....compromise, compromise,
> compromise.     Why bother even running these
> things anymore.  It is all over.      I bet I
> know how you voted.    Thank God for my
> Kodachrome, shot when things were done correctly.
Let's see a show of hands of all who would like to see Keystone1's subscription refunded and "impeach" him from TO.  I've never seen anyone bitch as much as he does and brag about his photography from the pure old days (which I don't think he's ever posted).  Is he driven to the sight and held at gunpoint to observe the photo being taken?  Does someone stand over him with a meat cleaver and force him to look at these horrible photos?
Give us all a break and move on, find a different hobby like tearing the wings off flies and stop cluttering up the site with your constant whining.

Date: 02/19/21 07:07
Author: wcamp1472

I wil paraphrase Voltaire:

" I may disagree vehemently with what you say;
but,  I will defend to the death, your right to say it!"

So, all members should feel free to express their thoughts, 
long as the discourse is civil and and with clean language.

W.

Date: 02/19/21 07:34
Author: NKP779

765 carried the coal boards in 2015 only. We only put them on to manage the distances and coaling locations between Buffalo, Corning, Binghamton Scranton, Bethlehem, Jim Thorpe and the long, long deadhead home.

If we had moved quicker, in place of the 2015 WAB CANNONBALL we could have operated a first ever triangle excursion to Lafayette. NS was willing to allow the 765 to go south to Muncie on the former NKP, then west on the NKP to the Frankfort roundhouse and shop area (now standing abandoned and derelict). BTW, the steam era coal dock still stands complete with NKP lettering.

The 765 would proceed west to Lafayette. The 80 or so miles of the NKP between Muncie and Lafayette used to operate NKP 700's but the 765 has NEVER been on that piece of railroad, nor visited Frankfort.

The excursion would proceed east on the WAB back to Fort Wayne, a daylong 300 mile triangle excursion. The time to load coal at Frankfort or Lafayette was the deal killer. If we already had the coal bunker extension, we could have carried another 3 to 5 tons of coal and could have made the triangle trip on one load of coal! It really hurt to let that one go but we had to be sure we did not run out of coal. That would be a major failure. So we operated a repeat Cannonball!

So there is some perspective on the issue of coal boards.

Posted from Android

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds