Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Steam & Excursion > Alco steam locomotive whistle

Date: 02/19/21 13:37
Alco steam locomotive whistle
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Greetings! In setting up several Alco-prototype model steam locomotives (SPLCo #5 2-10-2T, #1 2-8-2T, M&WRy 2-8-2 #102, 103, 104 ..) with Tsunami sound, I'm presented with a wide variety of possible whistle sound options. I've tried some web searching but can't find anything definitive about this.

Based on the list of whistle options presented here, can anyone suggest which of these would be at least close? I understand that the whistle type was specified by the customer and the manufacturer used whatever the customer wanted so nailing it down to a specific model might be difficult. But, lacking any Alco builder's orders for any of these locos, close is good enough, and my semi-wonky hearing can make hearing just the right thing a bit problematic anyway.

Thank you!
Jeff Johnston

Date: 02/19/21 13:50
Re: Alco steam locomotive whistle
Author: LoggerHogger

Jeff,

I looked at my factory framed buider's photo of SPL 2-10-2T #5 and it shows a Nathan Step Top 5-chime.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/21 14:27 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 02/19/21 14:11

Thank you Martin. I've looked at a few such photos I have but I don't know them by sight. I appreciate the tip!

Jeff

Date: 02/19/21 16:24

Here's a brief video clip of the adjusted whistle.

Jeff

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/19/21 17:36
Author: wabash2800

Why does digital sound on model steam locos sound better than the attempt to replicate diesel horns on model diesels?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 02/19/21 19:36
Author: callum_out

Might be the right whistle but still doesn't sound like a logging locomotive. Nice model though.

Out

Date: 02/19/21 20:38
Author: Panamerican99

One thing I've noticed about the whistles (and horns) on model locos is the "proximity effect". So many of them sound as if recorded from a distance which results in an incorrect effect. 
-JH

Date: 02/20/21 10:55

Callum:

Given the range of sizes, types, gauges and manufacturers that built logging locomotives, what exactly does a logging locomotive "sound like?"

As compared to the correct whistle sound for that specific type?

Jeff

Date: 02/20/21 12:44
Author: callum_out

Deeper sound, less pitchy.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds