Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Steam & Excursion > Audio: Tennessee Valley 610 wide open

Date: 03/04/21 15:31
Audio: Tennessee Valley 610 wide open
Author: MaryMcPherson

Interestingly, Tennessee Valley Railroad #610 is one of the louder locomotives I have ever heard.  This recording was made on June 10th, 1991, and was the last look at the locomotive on our steam safari that had also included N&W 1218 and the Kentucky Central Railroad.

Retired Louisville & Nashville engineer Billy Byrd was at the throttle of #610 as the train departs the museum's Grand Junction depot.  Mr. Byrd had seen us around all day, as well as the previous afternoon, so he knew he had an audience.  He certainly made the ex-Army 2-8-0 perform here, as he took off as though his train had somewhere to go much further away than East Chattanooga!

The photo shows the scene that is heard, and the locomotive is passing the microphone (maybe you can see it... it was windproofed with a maroon stocking cap and is on the ground about even with the rear of the locomotive's tender.)

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/21 15:37 by MaryMcPherson.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/04/21 16:47
Re: Audio: Tennessee Valley 610 wide open
Author: co614

Thanks Mary. Good job Billy, you really pinned her ears back !!

Ross Rowland 

Date: 03/04/21 16:48
Author: SR_Krause

WOW!

I've heard the term "putting the spurs in 'er", but this is the first time I've HEARD that! Thanks for sharing!

Steve Krause
Chillicothe, IL

Date: 03/04/21 19:13
Author: Txhighballer

He took off like he had the Super Chief on his tail! WOW!

Date: 03/05/21 21:19
Author: coach

Geez, what kind of track speed was he making at the very end??!!!  On a museum RR????!  They must have GREAT track!

By the way, what is that beutiufl bird sound in the background?  I've never head it before.  It goes l-o-n-g...tweet, tweet, tweet!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds