Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sad News Out Of Silverton, Oregon - SP Historian Tom Dill Passes.

Date: 04/05/21 06:23
Sad News Out Of Silverton, Oregon - SP Historian Tom Dill Passes.
Author: LoggerHogger

I was sorry to learn that my friend and noted Southern Pacific historian, Tom Dill passed way recently.  I learned that Tom's cancer had returned last year and thus this sad news was not entirely unexpected. 

Tom lived an breathed all things SP.  His knowledge of SP in Oregon was simply amazing.  Her is a short article on his move to Silverton, Oregon from Eugene and his volunteer work a Silver Falls State Park.

https://www.friendsofsilverfalls.net/board-members/2020/6/30/tom-dill

Tom, you will be missed.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/21 06:26 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/05/21 06:43
Re: Sad News Out Of Silverton, Oregon - SP Historian Tom Dill Pas
Author: Frisco1522

I'm at the age where it seems like every day we lose someone else or a close friend.  Very sad times.

Date: 04/05/21 11:11
Author: callum_out

To Frisco 1522's comment, amen. I met Tom a couple times, just add him to the people you'd like to have seen more often. 
Sigh and life goes on but this part of getting old was not something I'd really ever considerd, RIP Tom.

Out 

Date: 04/05/21 16:00
Author: TCnR

Tom had apparently visited Dunsmuir recently to help out with some parts for the SP 1727 Steam engine cosmetic restoration but I was out of town, did not get a chance to meet him. He had done a lot of work for the clean up and display of the SP 2579 in Klamath Falls as well.

Two books that Tom Dill co-authored have been my favorites for quite some time, my interest in the Oregon Cascades and my model building is heavily influenced by those books, the history and photos. Hope he doesn't mind the books sitting on the Layout during construction. Here's a post with photos of his Layout and a YT Video from another hobby discussion site:

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/23266

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/21 21:13 by TCnR.

Date: 04/05/21 17:43
Author: wp1801

A good memory that I have of Tom was, when in the 1980's, I encountered him in Tillamook and he invited me to ride the Batterson turn. In the evening we had dinner and went to a movie.

Date: 04/05/21 20:14
Author: RuleG

My condolences to you, Martin, for the loss of your friend.

I never met Tom Dill, but I have his very nice book, Southern Pacific's Colorful Shasta Route.

May Tom rest in peace.

Date: 04/05/21 20:46
Author: MMD

That is sad news Martin,  I have autographed copy's of his books in my collection,  some of the best SP books around.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 04/05/21 21:25
Author: Barstool

GUYS...I met Tom on a fan trip in the valley and we spent may hours BSing, we later wrote notes aback and forth and phone calls, tom wasfull of information and we could share forthe longest time..In Model Railroading, we both had a passion for SP 2-10-2's and we looked thru the hobby shops tring to increaseout fleet and got real excited when we caught with one...The last time I saw Tom was at  Winter Rail in Oregon,Tom was 100% railroader, but he was alsoa out dooors ma....He was a good guy, Iwill miss him....

Date: 04/08/21 23:39
Author: SandPatch1

He will live on in all his books.. And he will never be forgotten by the excellent work he did in those books for years to come. .. Bringing history back to those of us never saw it. But thanks to Tom can live the memories thru his work. 
I will visit with him everytime I read one again and again.. 
dave j

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1715 seconds