Home Open Account Help 176 users online

Steam & Excursion > Laramie Valley steam in 1967


Date: 04/06/21 16:16
Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: jbwest

The Laramie Valley Railroad, running a few miles between a quarry and the Monolith Portland Cement plant near Laramie, Wyoming was steam until 1970.  From around 1949 until 1970 power was ex-UP 0-6-0 4455,  UP's former Denver passenger station switcher and now part of the Colorado Railroad Museum collection. Somewhere I read the vanderbuilt tender came from a small consolidation, replacing the 4455's original slope back tender.  I rather like the vandy tender on the engine.  These are a few pictures from January 1967.  By then 4455 was showing definite signs of being run hard and put away wet.  Somewhat ironic that this modest machine outlived the bigger more modern UP challengers and big boys in regular service.  What other (U.S.) steam was in regular freight service by 1967?  The DRGW ng. over Cumbres was on its last legs, and what else?

JBWX



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/21 17:16 by jbwest.








Date: 04/06/21 17:22
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: refarkas

Excellent historical images.
Bob



Date: 04/06/21 17:54
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: callum_out

Incredible shots. pretty interestng when you consider what was running, the 0-6-0s, 0-8-0s. Not too far from when Virginia Blue Ridge and their
fleet of 0-6-0s quit running. Wasn't the Sacto museum engine (4466?) the backup power for the 4455? Great Western and GTW were about the
only people running real road engines near that period, and as you mention, Rio Grande. 

Out 



Date: 04/06/21 19:51
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: Earlk

Magma Arizona RR was all steam for another year - until August 1968. 



Date: 04/06/21 20:46
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: jbwest

Earlk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Magma Arizona RR was all steam for another year -
> until August 1968. 

Interesting that you mentioned that, got me wondering when my last pix of the Magma were taken.  And much to my surprise I found this slide tucked away in a box also taken in January 1967.  Now I am trying to figure out how I did it, because I don't remember the trip.  This old age thing is a challenge.  The one thing I can say is these old boxes of slides are providing all kinds of entertainment while I get old, new discoveries every day.

JBWX



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/21 20:50 by jbwest.




Date: 04/07/21 04:40
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: Keystone1

Ok...and don't forget, the date stamped on the slide mount is the date processed, not the date taken.



Date: 04/07/21 06:07
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: gregscholl

Nice shots of 4455 and I also like the vandy tender.  A couple of years ago we did a show with accumulated footage called "Vintage Steam In The West", and we have some 4455 in Laramie in that one.  Also not sure this counts as regular service steam, but the Steel Plant in Sterling was running up to about 1970 I believe.  We visited there in 1968 and 1969, and shot those ex-Grand Trunk Western 0-8-0's.  It was probably the last place to run multiple engines on a daily basis.
Greg



Date: 04/07/21 06:20
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: Spoony81

Northwestern Steel and Wire in Sterling, IL was using steam until the end of 1980



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/21 06:21 by Spoony81.



Date: 04/07/21 10:24
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: jbwest

gregscholl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots of 4455 and I also like the vandy
> tender.  A couple of years ago we did a show with
> accumulated footage called "Vintage Steam In The
> West", and we have some 4455 in Laramie in that
> one.  Also not sure this counts as regular
> service steam, but the Steel Plant in Sterling was
> running up to about 1970 I believe.  We visited
> there in 1968 and 1969, and shot those ex-Grand
> Trunk Western 0-8-0's.  It was probably the last
> place to run multiple engines on a daily basis.
> Greg

Spoony81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Northwestern Steel and Wire in Sterling, IL was
> using steam until the end of 1980

​I never got to Northwestern Steel but I heard they had very tight security  and did not welcome fans.  All the pictures I remember seeing were of the over the fence and from a distance variety.

JBWX



Date: 04/07/21 10:34
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: PHall

jbwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gregscholl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice shots of 4455 and I also like the vandy
> > tender.  A couple of years ago we did a show
> with
> > accumulated footage called "Vintage Steam In
> The
> > West", and we have some 4455 in Laramie in that
> > one.  Also not sure this counts as regular
> > service steam, but the Steel Plant in Sterling
> was
> > running up to about 1970 I believe.  We
> visited
> > there in 1968 and 1969, and shot those ex-Grand
> > Trunk Western 0-8-0's.  It was probably the
> last
> > place to run multiple engines on a daily basis.
> > Greg
>
> Spoony81 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Northwestern Steel and Wire in Sterling, IL was
> > using steam until the end of 1980
>
> ​I never got to Northwestern Steel but I heard
> they had very tight security  and did not welcome
> fans.  All the pictures I remember seeing were of
> the over the fence and from a distance variety.
>
> JBWX

All steel mills have very, very tight security. Considering how dangerous they are it's not surprising.



Date: 04/07/21 17:45
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: gregscholl

jbwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gregscholl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice shots of 4455 and I also like the vandy
> > tender.  A couple of years ago we did a show
> with
> > accumulated footage called "Vintage Steam In
> The
> > West", and we have some 4455 in Laramie in that
> > one.  Also not sure this counts as regular
> > service steam, but the Steel Plant in Sterling
> was
> > running up to about 1970 I believe.  We
> visited
> > there in 1968 and 1969, and shot those ex-Grand
> > Trunk Western 0-8-0's.  It was probably the
> last
> > place to run multiple engines on a daily basis.
> > Greg
>
> Spoony81 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Northwestern Steel and Wire in Sterling, IL was
> > using steam until the end of 1980
>
> ​I never got to Northwestern Steel but I heard
> they had very tight security  and did not welcome
> fans.  All the pictures I remember seeing were of
> the over the fence and from a distance variety.
>
> JBWX

Yes it was tight.  We were mere lads at the time and one pirate-looking guy told us we were on their property once and we had to back up to a little crossing.  There was one or two places to photograph east of the building, one off the overpass on the east side of the building, and sometimes you could get them west of the building by a couple of little side roads.  There was a scrap line of locomotives west of the building as well, including some steam as I recall even as late as 68-69.  I have some film footage I will be using in the next year or so, but have to find and scan some slides too.
Greg
PS Like your Magma with the cactus.



Date: 04/08/21 18:02
Re: Laramie Valley steam in 1967
Author: ns1000

I like the look of Pic 3!!



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0714 seconds