Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Steam & Excursion > Why the overlook of a important news item?

Date: 04/11/21 16:57
Why the overlook of a important news item?
Author: PlyWoody

The news item of the SP #18 is surely intersting and nice if the steamer arrives in Durango again.  But what is the bigger news items that seems to be completely overlooked and may be a very expensive item for the D&SNGRR?

Date: 04/11/21 17:07
Re: Why the overlook of a important news item?
Author: HotWater

PlyWoody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The news item of the SP #18 is surely intersting
> and nice if the steamer arrives in Durango
> again.  But what is the bigger news items that
> seems to be completely overlooked and may be a
> very expensive item for the D&SNGRR?

OK,,,,,,rather than bitch about what hasn't been already reported/posted, why don't you explain just what the hell you are referring to?????

Date: 04/11/21 17:17
Author: PlyWoody

And you couldn't figure it out Hotwater without making a jab!  How about two very expensive rebuilt diesel electric locomotives sitting on the ground at Durango engine house and their traction motor and ng wheel sets are in Colombia being tested.  And had #107 been a failure and where is its sister and will the two of the EX WP&Y locomotives not handle a full train Durango to Silverton this summer?  Maybe this is such a sour subject of diesel electrics on the NG that no one wants to touch the subject.  But something has gone wrong and that is a news item.

Date: 04/11/21 18:03
Author: dan

Date: 04/11/21 20:10
Author: tomstp

Haven't heard if 47's conversion to oil is coming along on time and will be used in the summer with the 491.  From the drought info it would appear the 18 coming back is the hope of D&S handling at least 3 steam trains during tourist season.  Diesels 4 & 5 ????

Date: 04/11/21 21:49
Author: callum_out

473 has the cab back on is well along in the conversion. The 107 had some traction motor issues which are being worked out, the rehab work
on 101 has been started, no mention of how much they need to do. The two new engines are another story, no one seems to want to release
info on the new 3 foot trucks.

Out 

Date: 04/12/21 06:22
Author: Dreamer

PlyWoody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And you couldn't figure it out Hotwater without
> making a jab!  How about two very expensive
> rebuilt diesel electric locomotives sitting on the
> ground at Durango engine house and their traction
> motor and ng wheel sets are in Colombia being
> tested.  And had #107 been a failure and where is
> its sister and will the two of the EX WP&Y
> locomotives not handle a full train Durango to
> Silverton this summer?  Maybe this is such a sour
> subject of diesel electrics on the NG that no one
> wants to touch the subject.  But something has
> gone wrong and that is a news item.

The diesel being a sucess is news? What next. NEWS FLASH THE WHEEL WORKS! FILM ON TRAINORDERS! I think the one thing this shows is who is self centered.

Dreamer

Posted from Android

Date: 04/12/21 06:47
Author: Dreamer

News at 11. The D&S has decided to not paint diesels in historic D&S diesel colors. This travesty of justice steams from the fact that they are not using the color scheme for the U.S. Army 3000 when Rio Grande tested it for the Army. The miscarriage of justice will be railed against by railfans far and wide that understand the determent improper paint does on film and pixels. It has even been reported that Plywoody will lead the DOJ investigation into the matter to see if criminal charges can be brought. This all would have been avoided if 489 had just shoved the 3000 off the track and into the ditch of Toltec Gorge like Bob Richardson had wanted so many years ago. For more on this see past copies of the Narrow Gauge News.

Dreamer

The above is sarcasm. This is kind of like saying April Fools in the same post so when people search in the future they have a better chance of understanding the tone of the massage.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/21 21:11 by Dreamer.

Date: 04/12/21 06:55
Author: BAB

Doesnt take much to get people upset wow. 

Date: 04/12/21 10:58
Author: Earlk

More than likely is the fact that the D&S is in litigation with the builder of the new locomotives over a non-performance issues (like, "they are not done...yet?), and simply don't want to (or have been advised not to) talk about it.

The D&SNG is a private corporation.  Their business is THEIR business they have no obligation to tell anyone anything.

Date: 04/12/21 13:09
Author: randyr

I would tend to agree with Earl. Last summer, while on one of my rides on the D&S Cascade Train, I talked with a Senior Operational Person, who was riding the train. He was happy to answer all of my operational questions. When I asked about the new diesels, he just snorted and shook his head. I got the impression not to ask any more. This was before they showed up truckless a few weeks later. I can only imagine the conversations with the builder as they are, I believe, over two years behind schedule. I can also only imagine the potential liquidated damages for the delay.

On a plus note, the D&S has been using an extra steam locomotive as a helper on many of their trains, from Hermosa to Rockwood. Where they easily could use their White Pass 107 Diesel as a helper.

Randy in PHX

Date: 04/14/21 12:03
Author: callum_out

The 18 is being brought in as a helper locomotive to free the other oil burners for road service.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0773 seconds