Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Steam & Excursion > N&W 611 to visit Strasburg again!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/20/21 03:41
N&W 611 to visit Strasburg again!
Author: NW611

Many have asked about returning to the Strasburg Rail Road and we’re proud to announce that we are going back! 

The 611 will be operating at America’s oldest continuously operating railroad – in Strasburg, Pennsylvania this summer and fall! N&W No. 611 will be at Strasburg from May 22 through October 3 offering (on select weekends) Excursion Rides, Cab Tours, Whistle Blowing, “Fire Up” experiences, and the popular In-Cab opportunities.

These special offerings begin May 22, and tickets can be purchased by visiting www.strasburgrailroad.com to reserve your spot! 

Tickets will sell quickly, so don’t delay.

Date: 04/20/21 04:18
Re: N&W 611 to visit Strasburg again!
Author: holiwood

Did the at the throttle last time and got tckets to do it again

Date: 04/20/21 06:16
Author: PlyWoody

Maybe someone will catch a shot of 611 crossing the secret Shocks Mill bridge over the Susquehanna River this time. 

Date: 04/20/21 06:43
Author: hkyman16

Bought my tickets! This is fantastic and I hope this becomes a tradition. What would be icing on the cake would be if Strasburg had a place to turn the engine around.

Date: 04/20/21 06:49
Author: ClubCar

Wow!  This is great news and for any of you who have never been to the Strasburg Rail Road, as I have stated many times, it is without any doubt one of the best short-line roads in our country.  I am happy that the N&W 611 will be steaming there again this summer.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 04/20/21 07:12
Author: co614

Very good news. In today's reality mainline running is nearly impossible as NS and CSX don't want the liability so 611's ways of earning a living are severely limited. Her first venture to Strasburg certainly proved that there's a sizable fraternity of steam lovers ( thankfully including lots of youngsters) willing to come out and spend substantial sums to be a part of this adventure. 

Here's wishing them every success and sold out events.  Ross Rowland 

Date: 04/20/21 07:13
Author: grlhughes

I can't believe they are coming back to the Strasburg. The excursion was too short and slow, with the 611 running backwards half of the trip. Sorry, but excursions on the steam friendly Reading and Northern and Steamtown would've been faster and great for all. Youtube has the videos of R&N 425 and NKP 765 to back this up. But enough non railfans will come out to ride it at Suburburg like they do the NKP 765 at the CVSR to generate cash. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/21 07:17 by grlhughes.

Date: 04/20/21 08:03
Author: NW611

grlhughes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe they are coming back to the
> Strasburg. The excursion was too short and slow,
> with the 611 running backwards half of the trip.
> Sorry, but excursions on the steam friendly
> Reading and Northern and Steamtown would've been
> faster and great for all. Youtube has the videos
> of R&N 425 and NKP 765 to back this up. But enough
> non railfans will come out to ride it at Suburburg
> like they do the NKP 765 at the CVSR to generate
> cash. 

The popularity and ticket sales in 2019 and today tell a different story of what people think of the 611 going to one of best tourist railroads in the country! 

Date: 04/20/21 08:25

NW611 Wrote:
> grlhughes Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can't believe they are coming back to the
> > Strasburg. The excursion was too short and
> slow,
> > with the 611 running backwards half of the
> trip.
> > Sorry, but excursions on the steam friendly
> > Reading and Northern and Steamtown would've
> been
> > faster and great for all. Youtube has the
> videos
> > of R&N 425 and NKP 765 to back this up. But
> enough
> > non railfans will come out to ride it at
> Suburburg
> > like they do the NKP 765 at the CVSR to
> generate
> > cash. 
>
>
> The popularity and ticket sales in 2019 and today
> tell a different story of what people think of the
> 611 going to one of best tourist railroads in the
> country! 

Yeah I get that, but thinking outside the box (taking a chance) sometimes is a good thing. I think many would want to see the 611 stretch her legs, get up to speed on the R&N main. Imagine a photo charter with a authentic coal train like they did with Reading 2102 back in the day. Also remember many folks ride the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway in Jim Thorpe, which is run by the Reading & Northern. I don't know how the ridership was with the NKP 765 excursions on the Deleware Lackawanna for Steamtown.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/21 08:33 by grlhughes.

Date: 04/20/21 08:50
Author: tomstp

I would think just be glad a main line steam engine will be under steam again even if it is only at 15 MPH.  Steam is steam and thank NS for allowing it to come to Strausberg.

Date: 04/20/21 09:33
Author: ClubCar

tomstp Wrote:
> I would think just be glad a main line steam
> engine will be under steam again even if it is
> only at 15 MPH.  Steam is steam and thank NS for
> allowing it to come to Strasburg.
I agree with you.  In today's environment we are lucky any time a mainline steam engine is allowed to run anywhere and Norfolk Southern has to be thanked by all steam lovers for allowing this mighty engine to travel on their lines up to Strasburg.  As for the 611 running on other railroads such as a regional, that is up to the ownership of that particular line.  For example, someone on here stated it would be nice to see the 611 running on the Reading & Northern.  Hey that would be nice; however, they are busy themselves with the rebuilding of their Reading T-1, 4-8-4  #2102 and it has been said that they hope to have it finished sometime later this year.  I do hope that this happens, so they do not need another steam engine on their property right now I feel certain.  Please steam fans, be happy with what we have in this day and age and please go to Strasburg and spend some money there, just don't be like some fans and only go there to take some photos.  They need our monetary support to keep them running.  Thank you.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 04/20/21 11:11
Author: pennsy3750

grlhughes Wrote:
> but thinking outside the box
> (taking a chance) sometimes is a good thing.

An easy statement to make when its not your money on the line.

Date: 04/20/21 12:04

pennsy3750 Wrote:
> grlhughes Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > but thinking outside the box
> > (taking a chance) sometimes is a good thing.
>
> An easy statement to make when its not your money
> on the line.

Your right on that. Go where you can make money. So the NKP 765 needs to scrap this Headwaters Junction plan since it's Fort Wayne and the state of Indiana's money. They need to stick with it's Cuyahoga Valley trips. No more Joliet to Chicago Metra trips because that was thinking outside the box and a potential money loser. The Strasburg Railroad is a nice railroad for the smaller steam engines. But just my opinion, best of luck to the organization. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/21 12:11 by grlhughes.

Date: 04/20/21 12:40
Author: TomPlatten

The amount of time that the 611 will be on the Strasburg property is close to six months. Will the Strasburg crew perform the necessary maintenance for that period of time? When SP #18 came to the D&SNG and blew a piston, they repaired it. Now it is back for the peak season. Oil burners are in demand in drought areas!

Date: 04/20/21 12:54
Author: HotWater

TomPlatten Wrote:
> The amount of time that the 611 will be on the
> Strasburg property is close to six months. Will
> the Strasburg crew perform the necessary
> maintenance for that period of time?

Yes. Both the 611 crew and the Strasburg crews will have to perform daily, monthly, and quarterly inspections/maintenance, including the monthly boiler washes, etc..

When SP #18
> came to the D&SNG and blew a piston, they repaired
> it. Now it is back for the peak season. Oil
> burners are in demand in drought areas!

Date: 04/20/21 13:20
Author: rev66vette

After what we've all been through lately in this country, to see something like this is a breath of fresh air. Good luck and success. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/21 13:21 by rev66vette.

Date: 04/20/21 13:33
Author: MaryMcPherson

A J Class limping along at 15mph instead of cruising along the mainline at a good clip with a long train?  Really?!?!?

Yes!  Really!!!

I've seen 611 on Blue Ridge and Christiansburg, and I've seen 611 at Strasburg.  Kurt and I had a great time with both.  We were certainly not alone in this, and it seems to be a win for all parties involved.  Good on them!

If it's not enough of a show fer ya, there are several good folks here that will happily sell a DVD of 611 or vintage N&W steam on the mainline.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 04/20/21 13:44
Author: Goalieman

rev66vette Wrote:
> After what we've all been through lately in this
> country, to see something like this is a breath of
> fresh air. Good luck and success. 

Amen to both sentiments for sure. Thankful that we have this opportunity and that the 611 will be “alive” in 2021.

Markus V.
“The Fort” in Indiana

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/20/21 16:18
Author: steamfan759

I understand that all of the throttle time has already been booked so you have to act fast!!  We have already ordered tickets for July 24th to go out and support this venture.  We have already enjoyed many trips at speed behind 611 in the past.  It is not the same, but better than nothing!!

Ron

Date: 04/20/21 18:10
Author: RuleG

ClubCar Wrote:
 Please steam fans, be happy with what
> we have in this day and age and please go to
> Strasburg and spend some money there, just don't
> be like some fans and only go there to take some
> photos.  They need our monetary support to keep
> them running.  Thank you.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

I've done the opposite - donated money to help restore a locomotive, but have not yet been able to take photos of it.  The locomotive is Duluth & Northeastern #28 (originally Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range #332) and it operates on the North Shore Scenic Railroad out of Duluth, MN.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0799 seconds