Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Steam & Excursion > At The End Of Their Careers, Some Locomotives Got This Ride!

Date: 06/19/21 02:14
At The End Of Their Careers, Some Locomotives Got This Ride!
Author: LoggerHogger

While many of our favorite steam locomotives never survived past the 1950's when most of their types were not only retired but also reduced to scrap, there were a fortunate few that were spared to live on  a display locomotives.  We see one of those lucky few in this fine photo by Gordon Glattenberg.

The date is March 18, 1957 and Southern Pacific 0-6-0 #1273 is being lifted by a crane for loading onto a truck for her last trip, this time to Traveltown in Los Angelas.  She has been painted and polished by the SP shops in preparation for this final trip.

While she will not longer feel the pulse of steam through her cylinders, she is still with us today to give testament to those thousands of steam locomotives that were not as lucky as her.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/21 02:21 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 06/19/21 05:22
Re: At The End Of Their Careers, Some Locomotives Got This Ride!
Author: rrpreservation

Awesome shot!! Thank you for sharing it.

Date: 06/19/21 10:46
Author: cewherry

Looking closely at Gordon's photo I see what appears to be a radio speaker tucked beneath
the 1273's roof eave.

I'm aware that railroads began installing radios on locomotives and some cabooses long before
the wholesale demise of steam in the 1950's but, if I'm correct, this is the first time I've seen evidence
of railroad radios on SP steam. As a young fireman in the 1960's I remember these speakers, most
notably, on SP's Baldwin diesel switchers. 

I suppose, because of the 1273's relatively late life on SP's roster, it's possible she was equipped with
the "latest innovations" or on further thought, maybe what we see was only the gangway light. A SP steam expert will help us. Interesting.

Here's another photo of the engine in her "new home" at Traveltown in April 1960. The handiwork of
SP mechanical forces are still largely evident and it appears she could be easily 'fired-up' and driven off the lot.
Maybe not so easily today.

Charlie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/21 13:45 by cewherry.

Date: 06/19/21 11:52
Author: RRBMail

Simply a GREAT PHOTO, what with the Travel Town sign on the tank! 

Date: 06/20/21 07:52
Author: Kimball

I grew up just a short bike ride from Traveltown and went there often.  This SP 0-6-0 sits near a much bigger UP 0-6-0.  As I recall, the SP loco has a narrow between frames firebox, and the boiler sits right down on the drivers.  The UP loco has a wide above-frame firebox and the boiler sits way above the drivers; there is a big open area between the frame and the bottom of the boiler.  I believe the UP loco was built later.  Both are oil burners, so it is not like one had a big coal firebed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0639 seconds