Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Steam & Excursion > BB225: Elk River Coal & Lumber steam power ('58)

Date: 06/19/21 06:56
BB225: Elk River Coal & Lumber steam power ('58)
Author: valmont

On May 31, 1958 Bruce Black visited the Elk River Coal & Lumber Company in West Virginia ... here are 5 of the company's stemers:
1. #10 @ Widen WV
2. #12 @ Swandale WN
3. #16 @ Widen WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/21 06:59 by valmont.

Date: 06/19/21 06:57
Re: BB225: Elk River Coal & Lumber steam power ('58)

4. #17 @ Widen WV
5. #19 @ Swandale WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/21 06:57 by valmont.

Date: 06/19/21 07:22
Author: HotWater

WOW!!!!!   Nice stuff. Shay #19 was still in service at the Georgia Pacific Lumber mill in Swandale, when I was there in 1962 & 1963. In fact, the lumber co. had purchased some sort of a center-cab diesel, and layed-off the steam locomotive Fireman. One trip when I was there, "working" with the BC&G men, someone from the lumber company stopped by, and inquired about  the "diesel guy" who was visiting the BC&G and taking photos. BC&G Superintendent Rich Manning, brought him over to me, and he explained that their diesel wouldn't start, and could I look at it? Sure thing, so I washed up a bit and we drove up to Swandale. A quick look at their diesel reveled that it had Cummins engines, and they had apparently run it out of fuel once, which trashed the Cummins PT fuel pump (the diesel fuel provided the necessary lubrication for the twin rotating distribution discs). Thus, the lumber company would have to get a "Cummins Service Man" out of Charleston, which might take a few days, or longer to make the necessary repairs.

Superintendent Manning, then was ready to take me back to Dundon, when one of the lumber company guys asked, "How are we going to get logs out of the woods now?". Rich looked at him and said, "Well,,,,,,I guess you'll have to go back to using the Shay.". The lumber company guys looked at each other, and one of them said, "OK, but we laid-off the Fireman when we got the diesel." With that, Superintendent Manning looked an me, smiled and said, "Jack, do YOU have any ideas on who could fire the 19??????". Problem solved for a few days.

Date: 06/19/21 09:04

Some unexpected help just happened to be visiting   ; ^ )

Date: 06/20/21 05:31
Author: Bob3985

Great story Jack.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds