Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Steam & Excursion > Rail Giants Museum in Pomona, CA

Date: 06/21/21 18:15
Rail Giants Museum in Pomona, CA
Author: PasadenaSub

Has anyone heard when the Rail Giants Museum at the Los Angeles County Fairplex might reopen to the public, now that pandemic restrictions are easing?  This of course, is the museum that provided Union Pacific the Big Boy 4014 in exchange for an SD40-2 diesel back in 2014.  During normal times, they were open one weekend per month but their website shows nothing but virtual meetings for the future.  I've tried Emailing a couple of times, with no replies.  I believe their director (Steve McFerson) at the time of the 4014 exchange was a Trainorders member - but I haven't seen anything posted by him for a couple of years here.  

I suppose that since they are located deep inside the fairgrounds, the museum's reopening plans would be closely tied to the Fairplex.  Hopefully we can enjoy their exhibits once again before too long.

Thanks for any info,

Rich

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/21 18:19 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 06/21/21 18:48
Re: Rail Giants Museum in Pomona, CA
Author: JimBaker

The Los Angeles County Fair will be changing its opening date for the annual Fair to next April 2022. from the present, hotter, September. date.
I don't know about their monthly open days.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 06/22/21 17:08
Author: ProAmtrak

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Los Angeles County Fair will be changing its
> opening date for the annual Fair to next April
> 2022. from the present, hotter, September. date.
> I don't know about their monthly open days.

That's smart, I remember how hot at night the AV Fair always was in Aug-Sept. growing up in the Antelope Valley!

Date: 06/24/21 02:49
Author: 2472Don

JimBaker Wrote:
> I don't know about their monthly open days.

Jim -

Unless they changed it in the last 10 days, as of June 14 the new opening date for the Los Angeles County Fair next year will be May 5, and will run until May 20. It will be much better in May (the crowds are predicted to be enormous there next year) because of the much more comfortable weather then, as opposed to the sweltering 90+ - 100  degree days and 80+ degree nights in Pomona from late August to the middle of September.

(SP)2472 Don,
Manoa Valley, O'ahu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/21 02:51 by 2472Don.

Date: 06/24/21 22:02
Author: RRBMail

JimBaker Wrote:

It rains in April if it rains at all in California. The LA County Fair has been mismanaged ever since the county hired a private operator (a so-called public/private partnership.) First to go was the giant HO layout that was under grandstand for over 60 years. I deal with LA County all the time and there has never been a more corrupt county, in my opinion.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds