Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Steam & Excursion > AFT Confidential 41- Huntington WV

Date: 06/22/21 09:55
AFT Confidential 41- Huntington WV
Author: BoilingMan

41 Huntington WV June 23-24, 1976

From Dayton it was a fairly long trip to Huntington WV for a very short 2 Day display.
Coming into Huntington I grabbed a lucky (in that I had my camera in hand) shot of C&O 2-6-6-2 1308 in a park. Sister H-8 1309 is just about to enter excursion service in Cumberland MD.

I don't have the trip synopsis for Huntington or the exact address for the display site, but looking at Google Earth I'm going to guess we were along Veterans Memorial Blvd between about 7th & 10th Streets? I remember the flood wall behind the train and the wide boulevard in front.

Huntington is fondly remembered by the AFT's golf cart enthusiasts. Not only were we given the use of the usual carts, but Huntington surprised us with something new and totally unexpected: an electric chariot! This thing was a huge hit. Too bad we only had the one- can you imagine what we could have done with two or three of these!!
SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Photo 1. C&O 1308 in a park, just coming into Huntington.
Photo 2. Paul (Ben Hur) Harvey- you really have to admire the authenticity of his presentation. (The helmet wings are an especially nice touch!)
Photo 3. That's me in tow.

Date: 06/22/21 12:35
Re: AFT Confidential 41- Huntington WV
Author: PHall

So did he play "Crack the Whip" with you when he was towing you on your skateboard?

Date: 06/22/21 13:49

Yes, IIR
SR

Date: 06/23/21 23:30
Author: IC_2024

You guys were like the “Animal House” of the RR! That pic is priceless — wayyy to go, SR!!!

Edit*… More like the Blues Bros— there’s Sister Mary Stigmata (Aka the “Penguin” in the background!)
Bahahahahha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/21 23:35 by IC_2024.

Date: 06/24/21 14:27
Author: ble692

I can a little from Craig at the Huntington stop.

1. The Ohio River levee wall behind the train.
2. Some more of Mister Liberties entertainment.

Date: 06/24/21 14:41

Snicker Snicker. 
Yeah, that's Ruben (A/C Mech Tech), Paul Harvey (Electrician) , and Myself (Ast Curator) fooling around with the Electric Chariot.
SR

Ruben did not finish the entire tour, returned home, and kind of disappeared in LA, CA.
Paul passed away a few years ago- heart condition, I think
and me....    I'm BoilingMan

Date: 06/25/21 09:02
Author: sp3204

SR...I was working Security on the arrival of the train at this location  (Red 23 at your service). I remember thinking the most unsecure things going
on were the employees! I have some similar pictures of Paul on that electric cart and you with the
skateboard! Reuben was, well lets just say being Reuben! I remember watching the local Bicentennial Committee watching the staff " aka you guys"
and all I could think was where they thought they better hide the young women folk!
Red 23 out.

Date: 06/25/21 13:11

Turns out I had a call sign too, altough I sure don't recall anyone ever handing me a radio (unless maybe they had to tie their shoes). 
In going through AFT records I found a list of employees and their radio call signs- 
Seems I was "Blue "31".
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0721 seconds