Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Steam & Excursion > Some sad and disturbing news from Chama

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 09/08/21 12:20
Some sad and disturbing news from Chama
Author: SantaFe

This was posted by Jerry Day on FB this morning.

I am posting this here as the moderators of the Narrow Gauge Discussion Group are covering this up and hide it from the public. Stathi is a good guy and has been great for the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR.

Fellow Narrow Gaugers,
It is with EXTREME sadness that I report that Stathi Pappas has been fired from the C&TS. So much C&TS politics, so much nonsense. I have known Stathi for a few years due to his involvement with Chehalis Western and the former Simpson Timber Co. He is truly one of the hardest working humans I have ever known. He must work 10 + hour days at least 6 days a week. He is a very mellow straight talking person, but he has created some animosity by being very focused on FRA standards and his own locomotive/car rebuilding standards. This has created problems with some C&TS staff who often work at the “just good enough” standard. SO, they fired him basically for being too focused on “doing things right”. BUT, this does NOT mean that he has ever been a dictatorial jerk like a few people can be when they have exacting standards.

The real tragedy, is that this may lead the C&TS down the ugly pathway they were in when being run by Bartholemew (sp?) when the 484 was dumped over near Los Pinos. WHAT TO DO?? Please write, call, or talk in person to the state commissioners, people in the “Friends” or anyone else of authority that can help save the C&TS from the “just good enough” / “payday is on Friday” mentality.
FWIW,
Bill Busacca

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/21 12:42
Re: Some sad and disturbing news from Chama
Author: nycman

I wish I owned a steam operation, I would hire Stathi in a heartbeat. I have followed his great work in more than one location.

Date: 09/08/21 13:10
Author: wcamp1472

Wow..

That is tragic news...

It's best to get away, far away from managers who interefere with 
maintenance procedures and safety practices that are avoided for stupid reasons.
A good way to 'invite' closer FRA scrutiny, is to do what they just did.!

Stathi has an impeccable reputation, he needs to preserve his integrity..
.he "will land on his feet".

I know of several steam locomotive restoration-operations that would hire him in A FLASH !!!
---  at double was he was making there..

Guys THAT good, are extremely valuable..
In a way, it's great news that he may be looking for better shops to work at!

Wes Camp

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/21 16:13 by wcamp1472.

Date: 09/08/21 13:28
Author: Macster

That is really a damn shame because of the extreme work he has done. He can be strict and a bit stoic but he is SAFE and by the book and has TAUGHT many people, including me, how to do things the RIGHT way, not just get it by way. It may cost more money but the end results have spoken for themselves time and time again. The repairs that he did on the 168 in 8.5 hours with the help of the rest of the steam community should show that value firsthand. 

What a freaking shame.

Date: 09/08/21 14:01
Author: callum_out

The "Board" certainly doesn't make a common sense person feel all warm and fuzzy. With John Bush
gone and now without Stathi the line might make a great purchase in the near future.

Out 

Date: 09/08/21 14:04
Author: splitreduction

And what exactly makes Mr. Green Boiler an expert capable of speaking on this situation outside of simply knowing Stathi?

What railroad experience does Jerry have, beyond taking photos of them?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/21 14:12
Author: callum_out

Base your judgment on what he's done in the past and for C&TS but there were similar complaints of him
up at Snoqualamie. There's no room for shortcuts when you're working on steam (read Gettysburg), you're
better safe than sorry.

Out 

Date: 09/08/21 14:19
Author: wnehoc

Read the post carefully; better yet, read Jerry’s actual post on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum.

Jerry was sharing Bill Busacca‘s post. Jerry didn’t write it.

splitreduction Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And what exactly makes Mr. Green Boiler an expert
> capable of speaking on this situation outside of
> simply knowing Stathi?
>
> What railroad experience does Jerry have, beyond
> taking photos of them?
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/21 14:22
Author: mhcorrigan

This is what happens over and over when bureaucrats run something that they haven’t got a clue about how it works. Standards are the minimum you can get by with and should be used as such.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/21 14:30

Where is his post I can’t find it on the NG board.
“ Read the post carefully; better yet, read Jerry’s actual post on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum.

Jerry was sharing Bill Busacca‘s post. Jerry didn’t write it. ”

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/21 14:30 by splitreduction.

Date: 09/08/21 14:39
Author: TrackGuy

NGDF had deleted every thread about it. Very telling.

TrackGuy

Posted from Android

Date: 09/08/21 14:45
Author: Lightning_Slinger

callum_out Wrote:
> The "Board" certainly doesn't make a common sense
> person feel all warm and fuzzy. With John Bush
> gone and now without Stathi the line might make a
> great purchase in the near future.
>
> Out 

The C&TS is the property of the people of Colorado and New Mexico... you can't "buy" it as Al Harper found out.

Date: 09/08/21 14:58
Author: Cumbresfan

TrackGuy Wrote:
> NGDF had deleted every thread about it. Very
> telling.
>
> TrackGuy
>
> Posted from Android

The reason given was that "if someone wants to announce to the world they were terminated, that is fine - but it is not your decision to make for them. Respect their privacy."
Normally, that would be the case, but Stathi is a very high profile public person and mainly responsible for the success in rebuilding engines and cars and for the Victorian Iron Horse Roundup.

Amazing, the railroad just linked to a 20-minute new video (September 6) on the rebuilding of the historic fleet which is narrated by Stathi!!
Below is the title and link:
1880s vintage train restoration of locomotive & rail cars | Kobalt Tools - BUILDING STEAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQdfXB3kNk

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/21 15:25 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 09/08/21 15:19
Author: justalurker66

Cumbresfan Wrote:
> The reason given was that "if someone wants to announce to the world they were terminated,
> that is fine - but it is not your decision to make for them. Respect their privacy."

Not a bad policy. If the owners of the board make the decision that a certain individual is "a public figure" and their termination is newsworthy enough that they are willing to violate privacy that is the site's decision, not yours.

I wonder how Todd feels about such announcements of terminations on his site, Train Orders?

Date: 09/08/21 15:23

Well we pay for membership here, so I would hope Todd would let us be free to discuss this topic.

justalurker66 Wrote:
> Cumbresfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The reason given was that "if someone wants to
> announce to the world they were terminated,
> > that is fine - but it is not your decision to
> make for them. Respect their privacy."
>
> Not a bad policy. If the owners of the board make
> the decision that a certain individual is "a
> public figure" and their termination is newsworthy
> enough that they are willing to violate privacy
> that is the site's decision, not yours.
>
> I wonder how Todd feels about such announcements
> of terminations on his site, Train Orders?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/21 16:37
Author: co614

One of the items on short list of good things that come from living a long time is it tends to help give you some perspectives not present at younger ages. 

I've learned that there is ALWAYS two sides to every story and unless you're forunate enough to have heard both completely it's wise to reserve judgement. 

I have never met Mr. Pappas and I wish him well. From all the kudos he has earned over the years I'm sure he'll have some good offers now that he is a free agent.

Let's also hope the C&TS finds a capable replacement.

Ross Rowland 

Date: 09/08/21 16:54
Author: BKLJ611

Must have been an out of the blue termination. He was posting just this morning on Facebook about the successful emergency work done on the 168 after the failure of the left reverse eccentric strap.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/21 17:00
Author: jbwest

Despite Jerry's comment, the moderators at the NGDF (I am one of them) are not trying to cover up anything, but simply trying to minimizing the spread of rumors, opinion, and misinformation.  Nothing has been deleted, only "hidden" while the mods try to find out what the facts are.  When the facts are known (and the only parties who know the facts for sure, and they may not even agree, are Stathi and the C&TS management) hopefully there can be some factual information posted and knowledgeable debate.  Stay tuned.  

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/21 17:07 by jbwest.

Date: 09/08/21 18:13
Author: Wacky-roger1942

co614 Wrote:
> One of the items on short list of good things that
> come from living a long time is it tends to help
> give you some perspectives not present at younger
> ages. 
>
>   I've learned that there is ALWAYS two sides to
> every story and unless you're forunate enough to
> have heard both completely it's wise to reserve
> judgement. 
>
>   I have never met Mr. Pappas and I wish him
> well. From all the kudos he has earned over the
> years I'm sure he'll have some good offers now
> that he is a free agent.
>
>    Let's also hope the C&TS finds a capable
> replacement.
>
>    Ross Rowland

Hi Ross, You IMHO are 100% correct in saying "One of the items on short list of good things that come from living a long time is it tends to help give you some perspectives not present at younger ages. I've learned that there is ALWAYS two sides to every story and unless you're forunate enough to have heard both completely it's wise to reserve judgement.
Thank you for your post.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

Date: 09/08/21 18:44
Author: wabash2800

True but if things get bad enough, they might get together and dump it.

Victor

Lightning_Slinger Wrote:
--
>
> The C&TS is the property of the people of Colorado
> and New Mexico... you can't "buy" it as Al Harper
> found out.

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0846 seconds