Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Steam & Excursion > Capturing Steam Locomotives Ar Night Was Tricky, But Worth It!

Date: 09/15/21 03:27
Capturing Steam Locomotives Ar Night Was Tricky, But Worth It!
Author: LoggerHogger

Night time photography of steam motive power in action is still done on occasion today but is not easy to do.  Static shots at night of steam is much easier today with the high intense lighting that is available.  But catching steam on the move at night takes some real talent.

Back in the mid-1950's there were a handful of railfans who worked during the day to set up flash bulbs along the tracks of their favorite railroad to try an catch on film a brief instant of daylight during the nighttime.  Stan Snook was one of those men as we see here in this fine photo.

Stan had prepared a bank of flash bulbs and a trigger on the west end of River Bridge on the West Side Lumber narrow gauge logging railroad out of Tuolumne, California.  He then returned in the early pre-dawn hours to catch West Side Shay #9 and her first log train of the day returning to Tuolumne long before the sun would rise.

I for one, feel his efforts were worth it in the final image we see here.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/21 03:34 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/15/21 06:05
Re: Capturing Steam Locomotives Ar Night Was Tricky, But Worth It
Author: Frisco1522

I hope he warned the engine crew ahead of time.

Date: 09/15/21 06:19
Author: refarkas

A night photography masterpiece!
Bob

Date: 09/15/21 08:57
Author: wingomann

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope he warned the engine crew ahead of time.

I was thinking the same thing.  He probably did because the engineer and fireman/brakeman (someone else in the cab) is looking at him.  Sure would have killed their night vision for the next mile or so.

Date: 09/15/21 09:57
Author: Trainhand

Besides scaring the bejesus out of them.

Date: 09/15/21 16:55
Author: nycman

Great photo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0302 seconds