Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Steam & Excursion > Even New Diesels On This Railroad Used Vestiges Of Steam Power!

Date: 09/16/21 01:58
Even New Diesels On This Railroad Used Vestiges Of Steam Power!
Author: LoggerHogger

September, 1950 found Western Pacific's brand new EMD #804-A stopped at Elko, Nevada on what has to be one of her first runs since leaving the factory.  Even the paint on her front coupler is not scuffed yet, she is that new.

While the WP was headlong into its dieselization program by this time, they still found some use for parts of their steam motive power fleet.  Trailing behind the shiny new #804-A we see one of the 3 tenders from WP's former Florida East Coast 4-8-2's.  These 3 tenders were saved from scrapping and given a coat of paint to match the new WP diesels so they could serve as auxiliary fuel and water cars for secondary passenger runs on the WP.

Sadly, the dirt and grime on the old steam tender compared to the shine on the new EMD shows us clearly where the WP was placing its emphasis in the future for their motive power fleet.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/21 02:13 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/16/21 05:57
Re: Even New Diesels On This Railroad Used Vestiges Of Steam Powe
Author: Frisco1522

I wonder if people bitched about a steam tender behind a diesel like they do about a diesel behind steam today?

Date: 09/16/21 07:01
Author: grizzledgary

First time I've seen this and a great example of the model railroader's saying that "there is a prototype for everything." Does anyone care to share other known examples of steam locomotive tenders used in this manner? Martin, as always thanks for the post.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/16/21 08:30
Author: tomstp

There was the M-68 tender of the Rio Grande converted to steam generator car.

Date: 09/16/21 08:37
Author: needles_sub

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if people bitched about a steam tender
> behind a diesel like they do about a diesel behind
> steam today?

Why would they, it's not a fan trip. Just normal, everyday railroading.
Different circumstances.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/16/21 08:52
Author: zephyrus

There have been some discussion off and on as to examples or earlier diesel fuel tenders in service.  The WP using steam engine tenders this way is the earliest, or at least one of the earliest, fuel tender examples I am aware of.

Anyone know of a railroad doing something like this before 1950?

Z

Date: 09/16/21 10:49
Author: PHall

The WP used the tenders strictly to haul water for the steam generator on the F3 on this run. The F3A's had just a 200 gallon boiler water tank since they were also dynamic brake equipped too.
They stopped doing this when they replaced to locomotive hauled train with a pair of Budd RDC-2's.

Date: 09/16/21 10:50
Author: SP4360

People bitch about normal everyday railroading all the time.

needles_sub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frisco1522 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I wonder if people bitched about a steam tender
> > behind a diesel like they do about a diesel
> behind
> > steam today?
>
> Why would they, it's not a fan trip. Just normal,
> everyday railroading.
> Different circumstances.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 09/16/21 12:32
Author: Kimball

I was going to post a facetious crack about it being there for steam generator water, but it seems it's true!  10,000 or more gallons in the tender ought to refill that 200 gallon tank for several months...  Was it not possible to just regularly add water at some stop someplace? 

Date: 09/16/21 13:54
Author: TomG

It was said to carry water and diesel so the train could go Oakland to Salt Lake without need to be refueled or watered. This train was the night schedule opposite of the CZ and used mainly for company mail deadheading personel. There are photos that show it marked for both water and diesel, but I've never seen a photo of the FP7s or F3A's that show a fuel pass connection so I have no idea how that worked.

Date: 09/16/21 15:41
Re: WP tender
Author: timz

They didn't want to have to refuel the Royal Gorge,
but they did have to refuel the CZ?

Wonder how far other trains went without fueling.
How about Chicago to Denver, or Omaha to Ogden?

Date: 09/16/21 16:12
Author: MojaveBill

They also an ALCO PB they used as a water tender. Much nicer!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 09/16/21 17:18

The CZ was fueled In Elko on East and West trips as well as Oakland and Salt Lake due to the 1200 gal tanks. In 1954 the fuek tanks were increased to 1500 gallons and fuel taken on in Oroville, Oakland and Salt Lake. This gets kinda muddy as its reported #17 was fueled at Wendover sometimes and fuel taken in in Winnemucca on both trains. It doesn't give specific dates so It might be before the 54 conversions.
WP never had a ALCO PB. Rio Grande had one that was used as a Steam Generator Car.

Date: 09/16/21 17:35
Author: atsf121

Super interesting, had no idea WP did this but I can see why they did.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/16/21 18:15
Author: wabash2800

Here is another photo that was posted on Trainorders some years ago.

"Water bottle" for F3 and the WP "motor" (trainorders.com)

Victor

Edit: Sorry, the link didn't get posted here earlier.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/21 15:07 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/16/21 18:16

Didn't happen very long. They started using the tenders while still painted black in late 47 after the F3s were thoroughly tested in Freight service until the RDCs were delivered in May and June 1950. Catching a FP7 on this service is even more rare as they arrived just before the RDCs and had Zephyr duties to perform.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0638 seconds