Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Steam & Excursion > D&RG 168 Big Horn Turn

Date: 10/09/21 00:31
D&RG 168 Big Horn Turn
Author: SLORailfanning

Day 1 on a Lerro Photography charter on the Cumbres & Toltec. For Day 1 we had recently stored D&RG 168 along with it's DRG wooden cars. We covered the Antonito (Eastern) side of the route on Day 1 and focused on Big Horn to Cascade Trestle across Day 2 and 3.

Still-photos will be uploaded soon.. 

Enjoy. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/21 00:31 by SLORailfanning.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/09/21 04:38
Re: D&RG 168 Big Horn Turn
Author: PlyWoody

What a naked train with no markers.  I guess no one is allowed to turn and take a view of the passing train in that group.

Date: 10/09/21 08:34
Author: BAB

PlyWoody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a naked train with no markers.  I guess no
> one is allowed to turn and take a view of the
> passing train in that group.

Well gee dont like it then dont comment move on to another post. Thought for once doing it this way kept all of the others shooting pix or vidios was another great idea of how to showcase the events. It would be nice that once on TO there would only be positive comments about someones work.

Date: 10/09/21 09:24
Author: DaveL

BAB,
You --should-- know better, this is TO after all!

Dave

Date: 10/09/21 10:42
Author: gregscholl

Nice video.  One tip I can offer on the backlit shots.  Before doing the shot put your camera in manual iris setting. First, point the camera where you want to have the shot then it will automatically get that iris setting.  Then switch it from auto to Manual iris.  This way when the train goes between you and light source(Morning sunrise), the iris won't try to brighten up the train as it passes between the camera and the light source.  If for some reason it turns out a little brighter or darker than you wish, you can probably adjust that in some sort of editing program.  But, at least everything in the scene will be consistant.  Your camera shot didn't open up the lens too much but you can see it a little bit a couple of times.  Anyway this is a good case for manual iris.  Just remember when you go back to shooting regular shots to reset the iris to Auto.  I have found there are also times for Manual Focus as well.  Shooting night scenes, night rain scenes, and shooting aircraft once they get airborne.
If you use auto focus, the camera "hunts" for the correct focus, as the plane is up among clouds and gets further away.  All the modern cameras are great, but there are still times when using a manual setting can be helpful now and then.
Cheers,
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/21 10:43 by gregscholl.

Date: 10/09/21 11:19
Author: wp1801

Wonderful!!! Looks in service.

Date: 10/09/21 12:47
Author: SLORailfanning

gregscholl Wrote:
> Nice video.  One tip I can offer on the backlit
> shots.  Before doing the shot put your camera in
> manual iris setting.

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the tip. I am looking into upgrading to a Sony AX700 from my AX53 purely for the fact that the AX700 has full manual controls. I've looked into trying the manual IRIS before, but never bothered (I don't shoot silhouettes/backlit often).

Date: 10/09/21 15:47
Author: gregscholl

SLORailfanning Wrote:
> gregscholl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice video.  One tip I can offer on the
> backlit
> > shots.  Before doing the shot put your camera
> in
> > manual iris setting.
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> Thank you for the tip. I am looking into upgrading
> to a Sony AX700 from my AX53 purely for the fact
> that the AX700 has full manual controls. I've
> looked into trying the manual IRIS before, but
> never bothered (I don't shoot silhouettes/backlit
> often).

Most of us don't shoot backlit that often.  One of the best I did was back in 1992.  It was the end of the day chasing 3751 LA to Chicago, someplace in Texas and the sun was setting.  I set up for the sunset, and use the manual control on an old Betacam SP 537 (Betacam SP Tape).  In manual I played with the exposure where I could mute the sun a tad, which made the foreground just a little darker.  When the train came the sun was see just above the rails dancing in and out of the wheels.  The train stayed the same exposure without a lot of detail.  10 minutes later would not have been the same effect.  Sometimes you get lucky and get it right, while others you screw up, as I have done so many times in the past. 
Keep up the good work.
Greg

Date: 10/09/21 19:27
Author: EMD2024

PlyWoody Wrote:
> What a naked train with no markers.  I guess no
> one is allowed to turn and take a view of the
> passing train in that group.

Always has to nit pick something...sheesh.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/10/21 10:30
Author: jcaestecker

Enjoyed the vids very much!  Thanks for posting.

(Hope Dad approved ;-)

-John

Date: 10/11/21 17:14
Author: ns1000

Great video!!

Date: 10/12/21 08:01
Author: zoohogger

Thanks for the tips Greg.  I have been practicing with full manual mode with both trains and slow wildlife. 

I do love this photo. It is very much the way our eyes would see it.

Rick Z

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds