Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Steam & Excursion > Pere Marquette #1225 (photos)

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/03/22 03:12
Pere Marquette #1225 (photos)
Author: mfmalk

We have all seen the beginning of the movie. In Michigan on a snowy Christmas Eve, Chris lies in his bed waiting to hear the bells from Santa's sleigh, “There is no Santa, my friend had insisted, but I knew he was wrong”. Suddenly a magical steam train, pulled by locomotive #1225, stops in front of his house. From a cloud of steam and falling snow the Conductor announces "All Aboard".

But how did the train get there?

“Seeing is Believing. But sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see”. From my two recent visits to Owosso the weekends before Thanksgiving and Christmas comes a short story of the men and women who volunteer throughout the nights, behind the scenes, and in miserable weather. I thank you all!

Follow the link below to my gallery of photos.

https://www.losttracksoftime.com/p47324941

A Healthy and Happy New Year to you!

Enjoy,
Matthew

Date: 01/03/22 05:00
Re: Pere Marquette #1225 (photos)
Author: agent1522

Outstanding!  Excellent pictures.  You did a fantastic job.

Date: 01/03/22 05:12
Author: ATSF5669

It was worth the time to click on your link.  Your photos are a masterpiece of immersion into steam operations!  Thanks for taking the time to post these.  Seeing the 1225 is at the top of my bucket list of things to see.

Jerry
ATSF5669

Date: 01/03/22 07:03
Author: co614

Thanks Matthew, great coverage and the group photo says it all. Happy New Year, Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/03/22 10:08
Author: zoohogger

Those are really nice. the B&W makes it. Most of the time in the wnter a color photo looks B&W anyway.
Do you start with a color and then change it in post production or do you shoot with B&W setting in the camera? I am assuming digital camera, could be wrong.

rick zorko

Date: 01/03/22 10:13
Author: nycman

Great photos, Matthew.  And to think I once ran this locomotive way back when they had Engineer For An Hour programs.

Date: 01/03/22 13:48

Thank you very much!
It was great to be back out on the playground.
Matthew

agent1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Outstanding!  Excellent pictures.  You did a
> fantastic job.

Date: 01/03/22 13:50

Jerry,

You must experience 1225, and do it when the weather is at its worst - for its when the locomotive is at its very best.
Thank you for the compliment.

Matthew

ATSF5669 Wrote:
> It was worth the time to click on your link.
>  Your photos are a masterpiece of immersion into
> steam operations!  Thanks for taking the time to
> post these.  Seeing the 1225 is at the top of my
> bucket list of things to see.
>
> Jerry
> ATSF5669

Date: 01/03/22 13:51

Thank you Ross!
And a Happy New Year to you also.

Look at those smiling faces in the group photo. That can't be faked - its an EXTREMELY proud bunch!

Matthew

co614 Wrote:
> Thanks Matthew, great coverage and the group photo
> says it all. Happy New Year, Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/03/22 13:55

Rick,

Everything in this gallery was captured with a digital camera, but from time to time I pull out the 35mm and medium format film cameras.
I shoot in color, and convert to B/W in Photoshop afterwards. I always want the ability to revert back to color if needed.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
Matthew

zoohogger Wrote:
> Those are really nice. the B&W makes it. Most of
> the time in the wnter a color photo looks B&W
> anyway.
> Do you start with a color and then change it in
> post production or do you shoot with B&W setting
> in the camera? I am assuming digital camera, could
> be wrong.
>
> rick zorko

Date: 01/03/22 13:58

Thank you!
I never ran 1225, but did have a cab ride in the booster seat behind the engineer from Owosso to Ashley and back a few years ago. Still smiling ear to ear...
Matthew

nycman Wrote:

> Great photos, Matthew.  And to think I once ran
> this locomotive way back when they had Engineer
> For An Hour programs.

Date: 01/03/22 17:29
Author: kennbritt

Thank you Matthew for the wonderful coverage of the 1225 and the dedicated group keeping it alive. Several years ago I posted on TO I wouldn't financially support a 501c3 organization that could be embezzled. It appears to me the 1225 group has worked through their problems and continue to grow their mission. Moments ago I made a $250.00 donation to them and I'm working on being a recurring donor. I've been considering this for awhile. Your photos got me off the fence. Thank you!

Kennard Britton
Bedford, TX

Date: 01/03/22 17:30
Author: Tominde

Thank you for sharing.  For those of us who can't be there you sure captured the feel.  Photos #20-21 just feel like Polar Express.

Date: 01/04/22 02:32

That’s because this is the REAL Polar Express!!!

(you are most welcome)

Tominde Wrote:
> Thank you for sharing.  For those of us who can't
> be there you sure captured the feel.  Photos
> #20-21 just feel like Polar Express.

Date: 01/04/22 02:35

Kennard,

I am very happy to here I inspired you. Thank you kindly!

“Runs on Rail / Run by Volunteers”

Matthew

kennbritt Wrote:
> Thank you Matthew for the wonderful coverage of
> the 1225 and the dedicated group keeping it alive.
> Several years ago I posted on TO I wouldn't
> financially support a 501c3 organization that
> could be embezzled. It appears to me the 1225
> group has worked through their problems and
> continue to grow their mission. Moments ago I made
> a $250.00 donation to them and I'm working on
> being a recurring donor. I've been considering
> this for awhile. Your photos got me off the fence.
> Thank you!
>
> Kennard Britton
> Bedford, TX
>  

Date: 01/04/22 02:38

I thank everyone for the comments left here, as well as the private messages, emails, and interaction through my website and Instagram account.

A week before my first visit, a colleague challenged me to create a narrative. No specifics given, just come back from Michigan with more than just a bunch of photos; rather a presentation with storyline. My concept quickly came together the first weekend, but the unpredicted 3” of snow the second time around was a godsend. Minus the different weather conditions both weekends, I hope the images flow cohesively. A few of them stand on their own, but collectively I feel the strongest connection.

All the best in the New Year,
Matthew

Date: 01/04/22 07:18
Author: jcaestecker

Absolutely spellbinding.  Especially loved the blowing snow illumintated by 1225's headlight.  Masterfully done, sir!

-John

Date: 01/04/22 08:15
Author: nurse_swede

Thanks Matthew! i live in West Michigan and was unable to get over to Owosso this year to get photos or ride with my daughters. Definitely not going to miss this treasure of Michigan steam next year.

Brian
Grand Rapids, MI

Date: 01/05/22 02:16

Thank you John!
Matthew

jcaestecker Wrote:
> Absolutely spellbinding.  Especially loved the
> blowing snow illumintated by 1225's headlight. 
> Masterfully done, sir!
>
> -John

Date: 01/05/22 02:18

You are most welcome Brian!

A byproduct of the access to an opportunity like this, besides the obvious photographic aspect, is the rare chance to just observe.

Over the course of the two weekends I was there, I spent my early mornings inside the enginehouse. I’d arrive around 3am, the locomotive quietly simmering. Only one overnight watchman present, he did his thing while I shot around. But also there were times when we would sit in the cab, relaxing, enjoying a cup of coffee while exchanging stories.

The final morning, I chose to sit against the wall of the enginehouse on the engineer’s side, the cameras stayed in the bag;  just watching and listening. A machine from a bygone era is slowly woken - from a sleeping giant to a raging monster.

Not the time to be fumbling with a camera. Rest your head back against the wall, close your eyes, listen to all those glorious sounds before you in full HD stereo. Smell the coal and oil. Feel the heat and humidity. Open your eyes to see him doing something which causes a reaction from the beast. Each time it gets louder and more intense. From far left to far right this massive locomotive completely filling your view. What was once so commonplace is now a special event.

These are some of the times I enjoy the most. So close, but still just a fly on the wall. Instances that could never be properly captured with a recording device.

Then the vacation was over - the day crew arrived, sliding doors opened, brakes released, throttle moved, camera in hand, SHOWTIME!

Matthew

nurse_swede Wrote:
> Thanks Matthew! i live in West Michigan and was
> unable to get over to Owosso this year to get
> photos or ride with my daughters. Definitely not
> going to miss this treasure of Michigan steam next
> year.
>
>
> Brian
> Grand Rapids, MI

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0783 seconds