Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Steam & Excursion > Loss of an Omaha Steam man and good friend.

Date: 01/05/22 14:54
Loss of an Omaha Steam man and good friend.
Author: zoohogger

Henry J. Morris (Council Bluffs, Iowa) labored in relative obscurity at the Omaha Zoo Railroad at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo.
He started at the Zoo in 1985. 
He kept the 1890 Krauss 0-6-2T (395 104) and the Crown 4-4-0 (119) working the entire season from April to October each year.
He was instrumental in getting the 2 stall engine house built and machines purchased and setup. 
Henry could make parts, repair things and worked tirelessy to keep the operation going. The 119 went through a frame up rebuild in the 90's. 
One or both engines sometimes ran 7 days a week when the crowds at the zoo were large. The railroad plus the trams and Skyfari ride were his responsibilty. 
In addition to the operations he had to herd us volunteer and part time engineers and firemen, Training new people and patiently keeping us old guys in line.

His sense of humor, calm disposition and true friendship will be missed. 

Rick Zorko

Date: 01/05/22 15:42
Re: Loss of an Omaha Steam man and good friend.
Author: callum_out

More than once the loss of someone like Henry has led to the shutdown of an operation. It's sad to lose not only
a good friend but someone with that level of expertise, time will tell.

Out 

Date: 01/05/22 18:03
Author: UP951West

He was a fine fellow and just as you described him , Rick .  His passing is a big loss for the Omaha  Zoo RR.    RIP, Henry.  

Date: 01/05/22 21:18
Author: wpjones

Really sad to hear. Henry and my 10 years at the Zoo running the Engines is why I still am involved with Steam and how I Became responsible for a 1920 Browning Locomotive Steam Crane. With out Henrys help I might still be fighting firing issues.
Thanks for everything Henry.
Steve Jones

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds