Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Steam & Excursion > Hocking Valley No. 3

Date: 01/24/22 07:56
Hocking Valley No. 3
Author: BaltimoreOhio

The Hocking Valley Scenic Railway was kind enough to run a couple of steam-powered trips this past Saturday, and mother nature was kind enough to provide plenty of sunshine and plenty of snow left on the ground from earlier in the week.  No. 1 shows the train ready to depart from Nelsonville (this track once ran all the way to Athens, about 15 miles or so southeast of here, where it interchanged with the B&O mainline between Baltimore and Cincinnati, but Nelsonville is now the end of the line).  Nos. 2 and 3 are along the route between Nelsonville and Haydenville).

Date: 01/24/22 08:02
Re: Hocking Valley No. 3

Nos. 4 and 5 are at Haydenville (note beautifully-restored B&O combine No. 1497).  No. 6 is north of Haydenville along the mighty Hocking River.  I have been blessed to ride and film steam locomotives all over the country, but this was the first time I had ever been able to chase one with actual snow on the ground.  Nevada Northern's snow trips are on the bucket-list for me.  I chased the Durango & Silverton one time in the fall where there was a little slush here and there but not hardly what I'd classify as "snow."  And one time I went to chase 1225 in heavy snow in Michigan, but the roads were too snowed-in for me to make it.  Thanks for looking!

Date: 01/24/22 08:15
Author: ClubCar

Very nice photos.  That old B&O Combine car was at one time used in Baltimore as part of the wreck train that was kept at Camden Station.  It looks great repainted in the B&O "Royal Blue" colors.  The only thing that would make the photo better would be to have the B&O Coach #3515 behind the Combine since it too has been repainted in the same B&O "Royal Blue" colors.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/24/22 08:47
Author: refarkas

First-class set - Photo five with the combine is my favorite.
Bob

Date: 01/24/22 09:12
Author: masterphots

What state is this in?

Date: 01/24/22 09:24
Author: wcamp1472

What's that silver thing do,  on the roof of the combine?
When in passenger service on the B&O, did it have that device?

W.

Date: 01/24/22 09:24

masterphots-

Southeast Ohio.  Roughly 60 or so miles southeast of Columbus via US 33, and about 45 miles or so northwest of the Ohio River at Pomeroy.  Despite all the B&O equipment, this line was eventually made part of the C&O and survived into the Chessie era.  The track is still in place from Columbus to Nelsonville, and the north end of the line from Columbus to Logan is still used for freight.  

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What state is this in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/22 10:58 by BaltimoreOhio.

Date: 01/24/22 10:21
Author: pbrasky

I remember the combine from Camden Station!  

Off topic:  For the thirsty railfan, the Brew Dog Brewery is on U.S. Rte. 33 not many miles outside Columbus, O.  Excellent food and beer selection, both with and without alcohol.

Date: 01/24/22 11:23
Author: ClubCar

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's that silver thing do,  on the roof of the
> combine?
> When in passenger service on the B&O, did it have
> that device?
>
> ​W.
I believe that they added a wood or coal stove for heat and I do not remember whether or not that was done while it was in work train service; however, I know that it was not that way when running in regular passenger service.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/24/22 15:11
Author: LarryDoyle

Wonderful to see that 25+ years after their last steam operation they got their act together again!  Congratulations!!!!

Thanks BaltimoreOhio for letting us see this.

-LD

-LD

Date: 01/25/22 20:01
Author: mdogg

Nice! Just curious, why did they sell 2-8-0 ex-LS&I #33 to the Age of Steam, but then restore this locomotive? Sure, a lot of time elapsed between the events, but still curious.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/26/22 20:56
Author: grahamline

#33 is huge for a 2-8-0 and was fairly heavy on the HV rails. 

Date: 01/27/22 21:35
Author: Stevo_Weimario

All the images are great, but #3 is a true gem!

S_W

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds