Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Steam & Excursion > FWRHS/NKP 765 sign multi-year deal to operate in Indiana

Date: 05/05/22 06:28
FWRHS/NKP 765 sign multi-year deal to operate in Indiana
Author: nathansixchime

ANGOLA, INDIANA  – The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, Inc. and the Indiana Northeastern Railroad Company have announced The Indiana Rail Experience, a historic partnership that will contribute to the tourism economy and the quality of life in Northeast Indiana.

Beginning in 2022, the Fort Wayne non-profit will operate a series of passenger train trips, educational programs, and special events over the Indiana Northeastern, a 100-mile railroad line that connects Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan.

Events will include a wide array of excursions with Nickel Plate Road no. 765, a 1940s-era steam locomotive, which has become an international cultural attraction since being restored to operating condition in 1979. In addition to the 765, other historic locomotives and classic railroad passenger cars will provide unique offerings for children, families, and adults between July and October.

A complete schedule and tickets will be available later in May and June.

For more details and the official press release, click here: https://fortwaynerailroad.org/2022/05/indiana-rail-experience-announced/

Date: 05/05/22 07:09
Re: FWRHS/NKP 765 sign multi-year deal to operate in Indiana
Author: LTCerny

Great news!  If my understanding is correct, the Northeartern Indiana RR includes the line that 4-6-2 #110 operates over between Coldwater and Hillsdale, Michigan.

Date: 05/05/22 07:27
Author: co614

Congratulations to Kelly and his team for this important achievement. These strategic partnerships with leading Regionals/class 2 roads are the way to the future for steam as getting mainline time becomes ever more difficult.  

Here's wishing the new venture every success.  Ross Rowland 

Date: 05/05/22 07:32
Author: gregscholl

I'll echo what Ross said.  Good news and good luck.  The regionals and short lines are the future of steam in the USA, aside from programs like the Union Pacific. Reading, Blue Mountain, and Northern has flourished over the years with their steam and diesel passenger service.
Greg Scholl

Date: 05/05/22 07:38
Author: wabash2800

Sounds great. I always wondered why that didn't happen before but never asked Gale. The railroad is certainly in good enough shape to handle a super power locomotive and train.

Victor  B.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/22 07:46 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/05/22 20:04
Author: junctiontower

The best train related news I have gotten in a LONG time. We cannot wait to participate! God bless the folks at the INER for having the vision to help make such a wonderful thing happen. They run a classy operation and have worked so hard to turn a few streaks of rust in a viable operation. Hint, hint, #358 sure would look right at home running with their motive power!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/05/22 20:55

Sounds like they will have to have a diesel on the rear end of the trains as the only place I know of to turn the 765 would be at Hillsdale, Michigan. 

Victor B.

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best train related news I have gotten in a
> LONG time. We cannot wait to participate! God
> bless the folks at the INER for having the vision
> to help make such a wonderful thing happen. They
> run a classy operation and have worked so hard to
> turn a few streaks of rust in a viable operation.
> Hint, hint, #358 sure would look right at home
> running with their motive power!
>
> Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/22 21:10 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/06/22 08:30

358 will look right at home –– especially if our plans for painting pan out this summer!

Date: 05/06/22 10:42

I just heard that the 765 and passenger cars will be home based at Indiana Northeastern's shop grounds in Hudson, Indiana during the three year agreement to run excursion trains. (Hudson and Ashley are very close together, and I'm not sure if the railroad refers the location as Ashley or Hudson, though technically the faciltiy it's located in Hudson.

Victor B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/22 11:25 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/06/22 10:47

Victor, the 765 (and likely most of the equipment) will still spend the off-season in New Haven, and the locomotive and train set will still be available to travel to other places. It's a multi-year agreement with lots of room for possibilities.

KL

Date: 05/06/22 10:54

Thanks for the clarification Kelly. I suppose the equipment will be housed at Hudson when running excursions on INE, rather than running back and forth btw there and New Haven?

Victor B.

Date: 05/06/22 11:04

Yes, generally speaking, we'll be camping out between July-October this year. If all goes well, we anticipate expanding the season in 2023.

Steam-powered Santa Trains out of Northeast Indiana have a pretty good ring about them...

Date: 05/06/22 18:56
Author: ProAmtrak

That's awesome news, 765's on my bucket list!

Date: 05/06/22 19:53
Author: elueck

Very Good News, Kelly

Gives me more reason to want to go that way later this year!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds