Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Steam & Excursion > More Info About UP Steam Donation

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/06/22 09:25
More Info About UP Steam Donation
Author: Atomicpunk

Here's some more details on the deal UP has with donating No. 3985, No. 5511 and the other equipment to the Railroad Heritage of Midwest America.  

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/up-deal-with-rrhma-took-over-a-year-to-complete/?fbclid=IwAR1Tw3BRw2eAn88f8g_rI0xfmWeS1Z66o8_atawGpgfLPDWvBssT2IzhRvY

Mike

Date: 05/06/22 10:44
Re: More Info About UP Steam Donation
Author: jethat

so I guess they have some track to run stuff on as the run 261. 3985 is a road horse and need to tretcj her legs to be fullt apreciated I think. 5511 is a Small area Machine  no roller bearings. so its ideal for a limited track operation. Suare would be nice if steam could be ran on class 1 rail other then union pacifics stuff

Date: 05/06/22 12:33
Author: co614

I believe this is by far the most important development in decades as regards the future for mainline steam and its long term viability. 

With Steve Sandberg's proven track record and the proactive participation of the Union Pacific this new venture will ensure that mainline steam remains viable for future generations.  

I am equally confident that the funds needed to execute the ambitious master plan to transform the huge Silvis facility into an operating base will be raised.

Thanks to Steve and the Union Pacific for seeing the long term need and meeting it.

I strongly request my fellow steam lovers to donate as you're able to help this very worthwhile effort succeed.

Thanks, Ross Rowland 

Date: 05/06/22 13:23
Author: PlyWoody

Jethat, do you realize how unknolwedge you show yourself claiming "no roller bearing" and it can't do this or that?  Maybe your forgot the WMS 1309 had plain bearing including a time when they  were stolen to hock.  All the narrow gauge steam that is running also all have plain bearings.  Every diesel electric that has tracton motor hang on a axle with plain bearings.

Date: 05/06/22 20:49
Author: Hillcrest

I'm just gonna throw this out there as food for thought. How many post steam era locomotives have more mainline miles on them in relatively heavy (See AFT II) and excursion service than ex SP4449? 
Extra Credit...she has what type of bearings on her drive axles?

Cheers, Dave

Date: 05/06/22 20:55
Author: portlander

PlyWoody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jethat, do you realize how unknolwedge you show
> yourself claiming "no roller bearing" and it can't
> do this or that?  Maybe your forgot the WMS 1309
> had plain bearing including a time when they 
> were stolen to hock.  All the narrow gauge steam
> that is running also all have plain bearings. 
> Every diesel electric that has tracton motor hang
> on a axle with plain bearings.
>  

Stunning. Just absolutely stunning.

Date: 05/07/22 05:56
Author: Bob3985

As I recall 5511 worked helper service in western Wyoming and on the wasatch too.
Also it worked the soda ash locals out of Green River in the end and retired there.
Thus its role in "Last of the Giants" production when it was shoved with some freight cars by a switch engine for the filming.
I heard they set some tires on fire in the smokebox for effect. Notice the smoke barely rolling out of the stack.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/07/22 07:22
Author: gregscholl

Hillcrest Wrote:
> I'm just gonna throw this out there as food for
> thought. How many post steam era locomotives have
> more mainline miles on them in relatively heavy
> (See AFT II) and excursion service than ex
> SP4449? 
> Extra Credit...she has what type of bearings on
> her drive axles?
>
> Cheers, Dave

Engines with more miles potentially than 4449

(1) Southern Railway 2-8-2 4501 (its still running)
(2) Norfolk & Western 4-8-4 611 (1982 - 1994, then 2015-202?) Photo taken on Greensboro to Roanoke trip, April 2017 near Moneta, VA(Kathi Scholl photo)
(3) Ex-Reading 4-8-4 2101 (AFT service, then Chessie Specials in 1977 and 1978)
(4) C&O 614 replaced 2101 which burned in 1979, and ran in 1980-1981, plus more in 1996.  There were a ton of miles on those trips
(5) Some of the K-28 (473, 476, 478), have run a ton after the D&RGW quit running freight service.  Same can be said for some of the K-36's on the C&TS
     Former D&RGW mainline between Antonito and Chama.
(6) Union Pacific 4-8-4 number 844, later 8444, and now 844.  It was never really retired, but is maybe the leader on this list.
(7) Union Pacific 4-6-6-4 number 3985, ran a ton from 1981 until its recent retirement, which was what 2010 or so
Honorable Mention: Not sure how many miles some of these have run, like NKP 759, 765, 261, 1522 for example.  Also Southern 630, and 722 ran a lot back in the old days of excursions in the 60's-80's.

Do we have proof of mileage on any of these....I doubt it?

Extra Credit 4449 has friction bearings.
Greg Scholl, who has seen all the engines on the above list operating, FWIW(No extra credit for that?)

Date: 05/07/22 09:25
Author: Hillcrest

Mega Extra Credit for that Mr. Scholl, and bonus points for all the fine photography over the years. With the plague-like fear of plain bearing lococmtives I thought I'd throw out an example and a little proof that you can get up and down the road without rollers..

Cheers, Dave

Date: 05/07/22 14:28
Author: gregscholl

Hillcrest Wrote:
> Mega Extra Credit for that Mr. Scholl, and bonus
> points for all the fine photography over the
> years. With the plague-like fear of plain bearing
> lococmtives I thought I'd throw out an example and
> a little proof that you can get up and down the
> road without rollers..
>
> Cheers, Dave

Also without rollers you get the added enjoyment of hearing those grease guns injecting those grease sticks at service stops!
"Shooting the Rods"!
G

Date: 05/08/22 13:56
Author: DRGW483

An addition to Greg's post of locomotive mileage.  Of the D&RGW/D&S K-28's.  Other than going through the shop, 473 has never left service as far as I know.  476 and 478 have sat for years at one time or another.  Not 473.

Date: 05/08/22 14:05
Author: santafe199

After PlyWoody Wrote: (yada yada yada)

portlander Wrote: > ... Stunning. Just absolutely stunning ...

I concur! I do believe the kettle just called the pot "black" (and the pot isn't even black in the first place)

;^)

(and ol'cranky tries to tell me I should post all steam photos here... ;^)

Date: 05/08/22 14:35

I agree it is stunning what I wrote because it exposed Portlander and Santafe 199 to show their colors in different of hundreds of other readers. Wes is detailing all the benefits of plain bearings.

Date: 05/08/22 14:40

whatever

Date: 05/08/22 14:51
Author: CaliforniaSteamin

I guess Ed Dickens is owed some credit.  It apepars he was looking for a way to keep 3985 running without hitting the UP budget.  Better to have this outfit than Wasatch if they had somehow stayed in business long enough.
-CSM

Date: 05/08/22 17:36
Author: portlander

PlyWoody Wrote:
> I agree it is stunning what I wrote because it
> exposed Portlander and Santafe 199 to show their
> colors in different of hundreds of other readers.
> Wes is detailing all the benefits of plain
> bearings.

Was it taupe?

Date: 05/08/22 22:34
Author: callum_out

Or mauve?

Out 

Date: 05/09/22 03:34

...try pale grey

Date: 05/09/22 04:13
Author: NKPBernet

CaliforniaSteamin Wrote:
> I guess Ed Dickens is owed some credit.  It
> apepars he was looking for a way to keep 3985
> running without hitting the UP budget.  Better to
> have this outfit than Wasatch if they had somehow
> stayed in business long enough.
> -CSM

Given the history of Wasatch and the evidence that has come to light in their trial it makes you wonder what corners they cut when working for the UP Steam Program...

Date: 05/09/22 05:07

jethat Wrote:
> so I guess they have some track to run stuff on as
> the run 261. 3985 is a road horse and need to
> tretcj her legs to be fullt apreciated I think.
> 5511 is a Small area Machine  no roller bearings.
> so its ideal for a limited track operation. Suare
> would be nice if steam could be ran on class 1
> rail other then union pacifics stuff

The language of the new generation dissected.  The Iowa Interstate RR is just “some track”.  The engines of the UP donation is just “stuff.”  How much more disrespectful of our love of steam locomotives or historic locomotives can we get to call it “stuff”.  The UP Challenger no longer a 4-6-6-4 with wheels because it now has legs that need to be tetcj, or whatever that word means.  “Fulit apreciated” I think means we like to see the locomotive rolling along at speed.  The 2-10-2 locomotive #5511 is a “Small area Machine no roller bearings” is very wrong as the 2-10-2 can run anywhere with no problem being on plain bearings. What the hell is “limited operation”?  “Suarre would be nice if NS rans steam again as I’m fed up with only seeing Union Pacifics stuff”.  I guess they ran and won’t run again.  So, two out of nearly a thousand reader of the above post defend this new generation junk language.  I don’t like it and see it as very disrespectful to our whole life time values and like of steam.  And total lack of knowledge of the benefit of plain bearing and what they performed over the years.  The UP #5511 can go out and roll with the rest of the fleet without being cut apart to install roller bearings. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/22 05:10 by PlyWoody.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0948 seconds