Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Steam & Excursion > Billion Dollar Friday

Date: 07/29/22 10:13
Billion Dollar Friday
Author: Tominde

You've just won that Mega Millions.  Who do you help?  A million or two on one project?  Would you build a new engine (as in the PRR T-1), or rebuild a park or mesum piece. or really help an existing project or 2?  Would you buy a shortline and have a place to run (like R&N)?  Would you set up a foundation that could give out interest every year?  Not so much interested in which engine, sure that's a fun dream, but more interested in a plan.

Date: 07/29/22 10:20
Re: Billion Dollar Friday
Author: wp1801

Recreate an SP Mountain type.

Date: 07/29/22 10:31
Author: bankshotone

As of now the jackpot is 1.1 billion, cash option is 630 ish million and figure 40% in taxes for figure you will go home with $375 million.

I am most interested in helping the RRHMA, supply all the money needed for the 3985 and the 5511, donate to help the facility however they need it. Then, provide some help for the U.P. 814 that sits in such bad shape. I would like to see the RRHMA get that locomotive as well.
The other project I would like to see completed is the T1 trust.

Date: 07/29/22 11:14
Author: junctiontower

I would make substantial donations to the FWRHS, the HVRM and the Whitewater Valley. I would also be willing to fund getting the ex-EL SDP45 into operating condition.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/29/22 11:27
Author: nycman

You think with my "handle" I might want to build a NY Central Hudson?

Date: 07/29/22 13:19
Author: njmidland

I would give the WW&F some ridiculous amount of money so that they could rebuild much of the original line, build more equipment, maintenance, etc.

Then I would buy a certain former Class 1 business car that is languishing in western PA and have is completely rebuilt for Amtrak certified service.

Date: 07/29/22 14:19
Author: SeaboardMan

Not much doubt which in service business car I would buy, even if it's not for sale.
john

Date: 07/29/22 16:56
Author: Frisco1522

I would make a lot of Children's hospitals and animal rescue places happy.
And help out certain steam restoration projects also.
There a just more important things than steam restoration.

Date: 07/29/22 17:17
Author: Drknow

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would make a lot of Children's hospitals and
> animal rescue places happy.
> And help out certain steam restoration projects
> also.
> There a just more important things than steam
> restoration.

Ditto.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/29/22 17:22
Author: alongthejointline

Buy Trainorders.com from Todd. Hopefully, it'll be less expensive than Twitter.

Date: 07/29/22 17:24
Author: bigsavage

1. Re-extend the Western MD. Scenic (WMSR) from Switch #9 near Frostburg up though Borden Tunnel to the east portal of Savage Tunnel so that more people could see one of the best scenic views in the eastern US. It is too bad only those in good physical condition  can currently enjoy this... I'd also buy the WMSR a set of F-units...
The late Charlie Amos always believed this was how the WMSR should have been run, and I also think the switchbacks down into MT. Savage should have been preserved.
2. Along with the above, conversion of as many abandoned ROWs to railtrails as feasible in the Western MD. region to further enhance  tourism, such as through the Frostburg Tunnel down the Georges Creek Valley to Westernport, MD. This could also include a trail into MT. Savage, either via the switchback, or a connection from the GAP trail at Woodcock Hollow Rd., using a combo road/Abandoned ROW.
A railtrail route that has potential would be the former WM east of Westernport, through McCoole, 21st Bridge, up to Pinto, and possibly to Ridgeley/Knobmount.
3. Unleash a EBT-style "blitz" on the assets and properties of the Western MD RWY Historical Society in Union Bridge, MD.
Including: Resolution of stored rolling stock 
                 Correction/replacement of deferred maintenance and facilities
                  Hiring of professional archivist to inventory and streamline archives/library/collections
                  Turning cleaning and janitorial functions over to professionals.
                   Liberation of certain WM equipment from the B&O museum to Union Bridge, or better, a cooperative tourist/shortline where such equipment could run
                   Sufficient paid staff to relieve members of certain duties, including museum staffing, financial services, IT and internet support, and possibly paid editors for e-modeing and e-history.pages, such as the C&OHS has done.

Date: 07/29/22 20:19
Author: SantaFeCF7

I’d pay a visit to BNSF and tell them what I wanted and to name their price. Then I’d open the largest Santa Fe museum. Since money is no option I’d buy the Beep, an FP45, 5000, 3463, and a few others from their current owners for my imaginary museum as well. ASVRR would get a rebuild they could only dream about, I’d probably buy the Midland off of it’s new owner and put my Santa Fe museum there since Marceline wouldn’t have a live rail option for running passenger trains.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/30/22 04:13
Author: grlhughes

Bring back the C&O 614 to the Reading and Northern where she should've stayed. Eventually get her running for a quadruple steam excursion parade with N&W 611, RBMN 2102, and RBMN 425 involved from Scranton to North Reading, PA. Each train departs 30 minutes after the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/22 04:17 by grlhughes.

Date: 07/30/22 05:52
Author: UP951West

Fund ATSF 2926 so it would operate on one weekend a month eastward from Albq . @ 60 mph . 

Date: 07/30/22 10:45
Author: cnr6776

Diesel: Some new PAs, perhaps an RSD-15,are there any left? Maybe a C636F, cowl unit, RMC had plans in an article years ago.

Steam: NYC S-2, GTW U-4a.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/22 10:51 by cnr6776.

Date: 07/30/22 10:46
Author: cnr6776

UP951West Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fund ATSF 2926 so it would operate on one weekend
> a month eastward from Albq . @ 60 mph . 

Why not 90 mph?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/30/22 11:11
Author: march_hare

Fund a “Linear Parks” organization, to help both struggling tourist RRs and RailTrail initiatives. Objective would be to do basic brush clearing and landscaping along both trails and tourist RRs to improve riders experience. I think in many cases, the tourist RR would benefit from having a parallel bike trail, and opening up the green tunnels that many existing lines and trails offer would be an improvement for all involved. 

But I should note that I did not buy a lottery ticket on my recent drive through Illinois. So I won’t be taking funding applications any time soon. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/22 11:12 by march_hare.

Date: 07/30/22 12:25
Author: goduckies

Donate 200 million to the 4449 organization, and 200 to restore the cab forward. And rest sprinkled around to the other groups

Posted from Android

Date: 07/30/22 18:48
Author: wabash2800

Reportedly, someone from Des Plaines, Illinois won all six numbers... Was it someone at Des Plaines Hobbies? <G>

Victor B.

Date: 07/30/22 21:34
Author: RuleG

I'd buy back the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range from Canadian National, restore one or maybe two Yellowstones to operation for excursions and also invite the North Shore Scenic Railroad to run excursions with its diesels all over! Oh yes, I'd allow CN to operate so long as its train operations do not interefere with the excursions/fantrips!  :)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0804 seconds