Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Steam & Excursion > Soo Line 1003 Run to Chicago 8-5-22

Date: 08/05/22 21:56
Soo Line 1003 Run to Chicago 8-5-22
Author: sierrawestern

Soo Line 1003 rolling through Hainesville, IL at about 8:00 pm 8-5-22 enroute to Chicago.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/06/22 03:30
Re: Soo Line 1003 Run to Chicago 8-5-22
Author: ut-1

Very nice! Bet those motorists (or most of them) were surprised.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/06/22 15:58
Author: Topfuel

ut-1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice! Bet those motorists (or most of them)
> were surprised.

I would bet it's highly unlikely any of them even noticed.  They would have all been staring at their magic phones during the wait for the train to cross.

Date: 08/06/22 16:18
Author: Spoony81

Topfuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ut-1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Very nice! Bet those motorists (or most of
> them)
> > were surprised.
>
> I would bet it's highly unlikely any of them even
> noticed.  They would have all been staring at
> their magic phones during the wait for the train
> to cross.

Yawn

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/06/22 18:03
Author: kevink

Topfuel Wrote:
----------------------------------------
> I would bet it's highly unlikely any of them even
> noticed.  They would have all been staring at
> their magic phones during the wait for the train
> to cross.

I don’t know about that. There were lots of locals that were waiting for the train and there were at least three of the drivers stopped for the traffic light behind me got their phones out to take photos as 1003 rolled by.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/06/22 18:42
Author: ProAmtrak

Cool video and I hear that, never gonna forget a lady at Congress wondering why 3751 was there getting water and all that and I told her what was up on my way to get something to drink at the convenience store back in 2012!

Date: 08/06/22 19:34
Author: TheApostleGreen

Sierra, was that you that the cop stopped and chatted with? 
My wife and I were just back of you, at the Exxon/7-11 driveway.

~Joe P.
Hainesville, IL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/22 19:38 by TheApostleGreen.

Date: 08/08/22 05:56
Author: sierrawestern

Yes, that was me the cop had the conversation with.  Very professional.and courteous but he did not want me standing at or near the tracks and did not want me standing at the side of the busy roadway.  Kind of ruined my planned video from the other side of the tracks and by the time he finished running my driver's license number (I was clean) we shook hands and I left.  As I crossed the tracks to the east side 1003 was about a half-mile away and bearing down on us.  I shouted to the cop he should hang around and watch it go by but the video shows he was gone. 

Motorists had apparently called me in as an individual standing near the tracks maybe contemplating suicide.  When asked what I was doing and I replied waiting for the steam train that drew a blank stare from the cop.  I showed him a photo I had taken at Fox Lake so he at least could maybe understand what I was there to photograph.  He said normal procedure would be for him to contact Metra police and have them talk to me but understanding my intention he wasn't going to do that and tie me up another 45 minutes or so.  He just wanted me out of there so I complied.  He even suggested a better place to see the train pass but I ran out of time.

A few years back when NKP 765 came to Chicago for a trip up the same line as 1003 was running on it made its way up the Indiana Harbor Belt tracks through the LaGrange Park/Broadview area.  I, along with several others, were waiting at the 31st Street crossing in LaGrange Park when a LaGrange Park officer showed up to ask what the group was gathering for.  I talked with him and pulled up the 765 GPS app on my phone which showed 765 maybe two miles away.  The officer actually pulled his SUV squad off to the side and waited the few minutes to watch 765 pass by.   

Date: 08/08/22 17:07
Author: TheApostleGreen

We were wondering... and yeah, my heart went out to you for not getting the Golden Hour shot  from that side.  :^)
Once we were done and driving away, Rita (wife) speculated that the officer probably didn't have any idea about it, and she mentioned that one would think all of the local PD's would be informed about an event like this.  I agreed but said that even if that happens, stuff doesn't always filter down the chain of command to where it needs to be (25+ years in Corporate America has proven that to me!)

Great video, regardless, and thanks for sharing!

~Joe P.
Hainesville, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds