Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Steam & Excursion > One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF


Date: 09/19/22 06:28
One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: PlyWoody

https://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,444094,444094#msg-444094

Regarding my 9/1 post about "Sad things happening at Chama and Durango" without naming names and NGDF ignores the news and bans the posting of problems.  19 days delay via NGDF but you will be current to happening if you read TrainOrder here.

They finally discover one of my reason of post on 9/1/22 about burnt grates on the 168 and cancellation of part of the schedule.  One distracting poster questioned what was a grate and was that critical.  My answer is yes, it is critical damage needing to cast new grates for replacement but during the wait for that, they borrowed grates from 169 or another location.  

The scorched driver axle bearing seem to test out okay and not receive a metal failure after replacement of the burnt bearing.  They used the first test of the axle as a helper engine just in case of the axle cracking because of it scorching..  The engineer of the #488 said it was not his fault account they had not given him a temperature reading instrument.  He too young to know about spitting on the hot bearing and testing it carefully with a finger.

The cause of the burnt grates is due to the small size of the ash pan as compared to the K36 size ash pan.  It was just a mistake of familiarity by a well known engineer.  

 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/22 06:54 by PlyWoody.



Date: 09/19/22 07:18
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: wcamp1472

The most common cause of burnt-out grates is too much
ash and fire under the grates.

It is common for inexperienced firemen to add too much coal, choke-off
the oxygen.....then try to get more air by shaking the grates...

That puts fire under the grates ...soon burning the cast iron and dropping 
large areas of the grates into the ash pan..... Massive volumes of cold air now
breeze through the firebox... 

FIRING RULE NO. 1...
ALWAYS MAINTAIN CLEAR SPACE UNDER COAL GRATES...
THE GRATES ARE ALWAYS COLD TO THE TOUCH, WHEN 
FIRED WITH A PROPERLY-LAYERED COAL FIREBED!



W.
 



Date: 09/19/22 07:55
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: Spoony81

I'm so glad TO and the other sports forums I frequent aren't set up like that Narrow Gauge forum. That format is a pain to navigate

 



Date: 09/19/22 09:17
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: dan

NGDF is older format, and free



Date: 09/19/22 09:37
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: Spoony81

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NGDF is older format, and free

Yeah, it's straight out of the early 2000's. I've been too plenty of free boards that are set up similar to TO 



Date: 09/19/22 11:27
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: Lightning_Slinger

Here's an idea...why don't you consider contributing to the volunteers, or volunteering yourself, instead of trolling?
"Things Happen" to equipment over 100 years old, none is intentional, and there is NO narrow gauge conspiricy going on....

PlyWoody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,444094,
> 444094#msg-444094
>
> Regarding my 9/1 post about "Sad things happening
> at Chama and Durango" without naming names and
> NGDF ignores the news and bans the posting of
> problems.  19 days delay via NGDF but you will be
> current to happening if you read TrainOrder here.
>
> They finally discover one of my reason of post on
> 9/1/22 about burnt grates on the 168 and
> cancellation of part of the schedule.  One
> distracting poster questioned what was a grate and
> was that critical.  My answer is yes, it is
> critical damage needing to cast new grates for
> replacement but during the wait for that, they
> borrowed grates from 169 or another location.  
>
> The scorched driver axle bearing seem to test out
> okay and not receive a metal failure after
> replacement of the burnt bearing.  They used the
> first test of the axle as a helper engine just in
> case of the axle cracking because of it
> scorching..  The engineer of the #488 said it was
> not his fault account they had not given him a
> temperature reading instrument.  He too young to
> know about spitting on the hot bearing and testing
> it carefully with a finger.
>
> The cause of the burnt grates is due to the small
> size of the ash pan as compared to the K36 size
> ash pan.  It was just a mistake of familiarity by
> a well known engineer.  
>
>  



Date: 09/19/22 12:32
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: railstiesballast

One more try here:
TO posters, please assume that your information is valuable enough that you should explain:
Who
What
Where
When
and Why, if known.
There are always readers new to the forum and old people like me with poor memories.
I (and likely others) simply don't know what NGDF is.
Yes, I know I could go off on an internet search but I have no interest in doing that unless it is critical to my personal life.



Date: 09/19/22 14:12
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: callum_out

And not to be mean but if you don't know what NGDF is it probably isn't important in your life. They have
announced that indeed PlyWoody is a troll but hey until someone shot pictures of the destroyed grates
on the 168 it was never mentioned. Enough to go around here, just a matter of whether or not it interests
you personally.

Out 



Date: 09/19/22 14:53
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: MojaveBill

I disagree. Do not assume that everyone else knows what you know. It's a matter of common sense and courtesy to spell out everything, especially if you want folks to read what you write.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA



Date: 09/19/22 17:21
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: PlyWoody

My last post before my Sept 1 post about “Sad thing at Chama,,,,,,” I posted about the White Pass & Yukon cab ride in 3003 along Skagway River which I suggested to view as the video may be pulled down on NGD Forum because it was illegal to use electronics in cab of passenger engine and talking to the engineer.  This was FRA reaction to Chatsworth head on collision killing 25 people by distraction.  My post only referring to the NGDF link to You Tube video was deleted and then the NGDF moderator un-linked their post.  The result was a Scott Dean aka UPHogger posted that he want to drown me with a long walk down a short pier, and them he follow by not naming other ways he wants to kill me.  That is a threat, and the Moderator may be in a conspiracy with him or maybe other, because that post is still live in NGDF.  All this hate because I suggested the viewing of a video that likely to be pulled down although it likely is still on you tube. 

Therefore, I did not detail the happening at Chama when for lack of night watchman a big coal fire was found in the tender coal pile damaging the oil can rack and other damage.  Not naming the engineer who found the ash pan on the 168 was much smaller than expected and burned up the grates.  And at same time the driver bearing on 488 was so hot it scorched the axle where the metal quality could be damaged and axle break on next trip on a train.  What I posted survived the moderator in this case but pissed off two or three space heads out of over 3,300 readers.
 
And all the people in Chama know what happened account the fire truck waking everyone up early in morning going down to engine house to put the tender fire under control. How does a coal pile in the tender get burning without someone being involved? The fire was not banked properly and the fire door was left open if you believe one excuse.  
 



Date: 09/19/22 17:34
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: callum_out

Deaver, you want us to full detail every post then pay us for our contributions!

Out 



Date: 09/19/22 18:22
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: HT6

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Deaver, you want us to full detail every post then
> pay us for our contributions!
>
> Out 

Out, what is the point of your contribution?  Are we not allowed to express thoughts contrary to yours?  Please grow up!



Date: 09/19/22 18:37
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: callum_out

Certainly you are entitled to contrary opinions but when your opinion imposes additional burdens on
another person they need to be countered. Who are you or anyone else to tell us what to have to
include just to make a post? We pay for this site, if it were free you might have a point but now, no. 


Out 



Date: 09/19/22 18:47
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: Spoony81

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Certainly you are entitled to contrary opinions
> but when your opinion imposes additional burdens
> on
> another person they need to be countered. Who are
> you or anyone else to tell us what to have to
> include just to make a post? We pay for this site,
> if it were free you might have a point but now,
> no. 
>
>
> Out 

Who, what, when, where and why should be a common courtesy to anyone starting a topic. It’s common courtesy and not difficult to do. “Additional burdens” is also pretty damn laughable. Get over yourself

Posted from iPhone



Date: 09/19/22 21:07
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: radar

How does a coal pile in
> the tender get burning without someone being
> involved?

Spontenous combustion happens in coal piles.  A little googling reveals this is possible and fairly common, especially with lower grade coal.



Date: 09/19/22 22:25
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: railstiesballast

By now some kind soul did tell us that the "F" in NGDF is Forum.
And in context I have presumed "NG" is Narrow Gauge.
So "D" is Discussion?
 



Date: 09/19/22 22:41
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: Earlk

radar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does a coal pile in
> > the tender get burning without someone being
> > involved?
>
> Spontenous combustion happens in coal piles.  A
> little googling reveals this is possible and
> fairly common, especially with lower grade coal.

According to an employee friend of mine, the coal pile fire is a complete fabrication.  There is no watchman on duty on the nights that no trains are run the next day and the fires are allowed to die that night. (this would be Sunday night, with no trains on Monday).  Monday afternoon, an employee was instructed to dump the old dead fire into the ashpan, then build a new fire, but not light it as the watchman coming in at midnight would do so.  The would have the engine hot for Tuesday's train.

Unfortunately, the employee did not dump the dead fire into the ashpan and simply built the new fire on top of the dead fire which was unfortunately, not quite dead.  The employee went home leaving the firebox door open.  There was enough draft and enough hot remaining embers to light off the new fire.  With the firedoor open the cab filled with flame and smoke, arousing the interest of the Chama fire dept.  Closing the firedoor brought the situation under control with some damage done to the cab interior.  ie radio, oil can shelf, air gauges,etc.

Yes, there was a screw up in that the employee did not dump the old fire, which would have avoided the whole incident. 



Date: 09/19/22 23:15
Re: One of the sad things now discovered on NGDF
Author: callum_out

Forum has a policy about not speaking bad of employees so I'd guess that's why this was never mentioned. I appreicate
Earl coming forth with the full story.

Out 



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1119 seconds