Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Steam & Excursion > 2816 getting prepped to go to mexico city

Date: 11/17/22 04:57
2816 getting prepped to go to mexico city
Author: dan

A century ago, 2816 entered service moving people and goods across Canada. Today, CP teams are prepping 2816 for a special cross-continental voyage from Calgary to Mexico City to celebrate completion of the proposed CP-KCS merger, pending regulatory approval, and the connecting of a continent through the creation of CPKC.

source CP facebook page   https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=691990718856049&ref=sharing

Date: 11/17/22 05:39
Re: 2816 getting prepped to go to mexico city
Author: bmoore765

Not quite a century yet. Built in 1930. CP has been quietly working on 2816 for a while now. 15 year rebuild and I believe conversion to oil lubrication. It will be interesting to see how they ultimately use 2816 as it certainly seems like a lot of work and expense just for one round trip celebrating a merger that's not yet a sure thing.

Date: 11/18/22 09:57
Author: A-1

I'd think they plan on getting more use out of it than one trip if they're going to invest in its return to operation. But, I also think for a company that big, the cost of paying a few guys plus materials and some contracted work for a big publicity stunt is a pretty insignificant. When was the last time a steam excursion ran in Mexico, anyway?

Posted from Android

Date: 11/18/22 14:10
Author: callum_out

Not that long ago, the bit of narrow gauge left in the Mexico City area used to run on a fairly
regular basis.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.027 seconds