Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Steam & Excursion > Portland Holiday Express

Date: 11/27/22 15:48
Portland Holiday Express
Author: gobbl3gook

Date: 11/27/22 15:49
Re: Portland Holiday Express

Departing from ORHF involves four grade crossings!  

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/27/22 15:51

Polson #2 was working pretty hard climbing the grade from Oaks Park to SE Spokane St.  Much harder than 4449 or 700 would work on this grade.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/22 15:56 by gobbl3gook.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/27/22 17:09

Just FYI, anyone can pace the Holiday Express on the Springwater in the Willamette Trail.  It's loads of fun.  You're rarely more than 12' from the train on the entire 4 mile run.  And there are sometimes one or two other people pacing, but often (like today) I'm the only one.  You can rent an electric-assist orange Nike Bike anywhere in town with the app on your phone, and it won't even be much of a workout pacing the train.  (Cost about $20/hr). This is my 15th year in metro Portland, I've gotten out t pace at least once most years, and have never gotten tired of it, or had a bad experience.  

Also, reviewing video #1, I got a double over-under at 0:50!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/22 22:10 by gobbl3gook.

Date: 11/27/22 17:47
Author: wp1801

#2 is a more appropriate locomotive than 4449 for this occasion.

Date: 11/27/22 20:02
Author: joemagruder

And to add on we got a light rail train and the Starlight in the background.

Date: 11/27/22 21:36
Author: asheldrake

thanks for pointing out the Starlight, missed it the first view.......and I like the Portland Streetcar overhead.......while the ORHC location is tight on space, we are NOT light on rail activity.......UP, Amtrak, OPR, MAX, and Streetcar.....ALL 4 sides....we are surrounded.   Arlen

Date: 11/28/22 09:13
Author: asheldrake

not too many places in this world where one can sip a good amber, eat a good pizza and have a steamer pass right, and I mean right, by your window......Tillicum Station (Mt. Hood Brewery), good neighbor next door to the Oregon Rail Heritage Center.    

ps: the family father that owns Mt. Hood Brewery saved both the Timberline Lodge and help save the first time the Mount Hood Railroad)...thus the rail car theme..)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds