Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Steam & Excursion > Rescan Files: N&W 1218

Date: 01/18/23 15:45
Rescan Files: N&W 1218
Author: MaryMcPherson

I scanned a lot of my photography a number of years ago, and am going through everything again to do a better job of it.

Here we find Norfolk & Western #1218 in conjunction with the 1990 NRHS convention.

1. The Independence Limited arrives in Mount Vernon, Illinois, on the evening of June 11th.

2-3. The next morning, #1218 is making switching moves to get the train ready for the last leg of the run to St. Louis.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 01/18/23 15:48
Re: Rescan Files: N&W 1218

4. #1218 pulls ahead to board passengers for the day's journey.

5-6. The Independence Limited departs Centralia, Illinois, on the last leg to St. Louis.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 01/18/23 15:49

One last image, as #1218 sat under steam at St. Louis Union Station on the evening of June 16th, 1990.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 01/18/23 16:25

One final scene from Mount Vernon on the evening of June 11, 1990.  Passengers have detrained and a huge crowd has come out to see the largest steam locomotive to ever run over the former Southern Railway route from Louisville to St. Louis.  Light Pacifics and Consolidations were the primary power here during the steam era!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 01/19/23 01:21
Author: ClubCar

All nice and memorable photos of a great engine that most likely will never operate again.  But who really knows, stranger things have happened with railroads.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/21/23 17:06
Author: SantaFeCF7

After finally getting to see 1218 in person at Roanoke a couple of years ago, I have got to say it's a huge dissapointment to not be able to see her live in steam. Even if it would just be pulling a few cars at low speed on a short line like 611 is doing in PA, it would be worth it. 

Date: 02/07/23 18:09
Author: ProAmtrak

SantaFeCF7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After finally getting to see 1218 in person at
> Roanoke a couple of years ago, I have got to say
> it's a huge dissapointment to not be able to see
> her live in steam. Even if it would just be
> pulling a few cars at low speed on a short line
> like 611 is doing in PA, it would be worth it. 

I'm with you, was in Ranoke back in 17 and said that to the fans that where there when I shot 611!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds