Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Steam & Excursion > ORHC -turntable 1/27/2023

Date: 01/27/23 16:31
ORHC -turntable 1/27/2023
Author: asheldrake

giving the phone one more try.....per Elizabeth's suggestion, loaded picture on my computer and flipped it upside down, and am now posting it.   ok, I give up, back to the camera......

this picture shows the pivot pedestal with rebar sticking out and one side of the support wing forms in place.   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/23 16:32 by asheldrake.

Date: 01/27/23 16:33
Re: ORHC -turntable 1/27/2023
Author: wabash2800

test

Date: 01/27/23 18:14
Author: wcamp1472

Very clear pictures of re-bar applications...
Way to Go!
No matter which angle you look at it!

I like your pictures ---- and I simply lay the device flat and turn it where it looks
right..

Wes.

( Doyle taught me a long time ago: " You gotta' be smarter than the machine 
   you operate!" ..
    While doing carpentry work, he would sometimes whack his thumb 
   with a hammer, often enough --- always accompanied by hollers of pain...
   To which we would tease & remind him of the need to "being smarter than
    the hammer" .)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/23 18:58 by wcamp1472.

Date: 01/27/23 18:50

THANKS FOR THE FIX !!!!   and Wes, Doyle is quite smart as when he sees me with anything like a tool in my hands he cringes....clearly my phone among many other "tools" is smarter than I.      Arlen

Date: 01/27/23 22:40

an earlier post suggested that these support spokes might have been an after thought.....nope, they are on the original plans per a email message.   Arlen

Date: 01/28/23 06:06
Author: Elesco

Rebar is anchored to existing concrete by drilling holes of appropriate diameter and depth, then bonding the rebar in the holes with structural resin.  Notice in the photo that rebar has also been installed on the far wall.

Attachment of the spokes to the sharp corners of the center block would have been easier and stronger if they had made the corners beveled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/23 06:15 by Elesco.

Date: 01/28/23 06:43
Author: wcamp1472

Or.... if they had made a round base for the center bearing...

But, that might have meant additional pilings to be sunk....maybe?

All-in-all, it will work-out just fine.... but, will remain a discussion topic,
for generations to come!

W.

Date: 01/28/23 08:45
Author: BAB

Think this was the plan all along as easier than trying to put forms around rebar to pour the center block. Anyway really like all of the pix that have been taken as that's dedication that has told quite a story and am sure they will be in a visitor book for people to look at.

Date: 01/28/23 12:52
Author: Jsporseen

Arlens pictures do a much better job of showing the entire project than mine but I do enjoy taking pictures with the maintenance bay in front.  These two pictures, the second of which is cropped from the first, reinforces my thoughts about where the front end loader needs to be when it is removed from the pit; it looks to me to be in the perfect position.  It would really be cool to watch a video of it when the removal takes place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/23 11:37 by Jsporseen.

Date: 01/28/23 13:22
Author: TTStetz3

I do believe these eight structural concrete beams have one job to do, to keep the center pivot and its concrete base at a pre-determined location, via a "retaining" side-to-side force. They do not need to provide any up-and-down force to support the weight of the turntable bridge and/or locomotive.

Date: 01/28/23 20:59
Author: PHall

The fact that they put a bunch of gravel on the floor of the pit and compacted it is interesting. They don't normally compact it if they just placed the gravel for drainage.
But they do compact it when they're prepping a base for pavement, either concrete or asphalt...

Date: 01/29/23 16:06

I'm not sure but I believe that they are using crushed concrete which, when compacted, still gives excellent drainage.  A previous poster was indicating that this type of material would probably be used to fill in around the outside.  Don't remember who the poster was or exactly how long ago I saw it but I'm sure I did.

Date: 01/29/23 19:33

I went back and found this post from ChrisCampi and it appears reasonable to me although I am far from an expert.

Date: 01/10/23 17:52
Re: ORHC - Turntable: another milestone done
Author: ChrisCampi
The recycled concrete base rock is good stuff. You can compact the heck out of it and it still drains pretty well.
Add me to those who appreciate the updates.
[ Reply To This Message ] [ Quote ] [ Private Reply ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/23 21:24 by Jsporseen.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds