Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Steam & Excursion > Western Maryland Scenic FB blabbery

Date: 02/02/23 06:30
Western Maryland Scenic FB blabbery
Author: CO1309

What is everyone up in arms about regarding the Western Maryland Scenic railroad on Facebook?  Something about excessive charges to take a photograph and expensive private event?  I am lost but would love to know more mostly because I may want to attend haha.

Date: 02/02/23 07:00
Re: Western Maryland Scenic FB blabbery
Author: SantaFeCF7

CO1309 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is everyone up in arms about regarding the
> Western Maryland Scenic railroad on Facebook? 
> Something about excessive charges to take a
> photograph and expensive private event?  I am
> lost but would love to know more mostly because I
> may want to attend haha.

Maybe a Pete Lerro (spelling?) event? 

Date: 02/02/23 07:03
Author: ClubCar

The only thing that I can tell you is that today on Virtual Railfan on YouTube, around 7:15 A.M. or so, the Western Maryland Scenic R.R. brought ex-C&O 1309 into the Cumberland Station with a freight train as seen on the camera.  It looked like empty gondolas and hopper cars along with a WM Caboose.  Here's the thing:  the coal tender had been repainted as "Chesapeake and Ohio" instead of Western Maryland which is what the engine has been running with since the rebuild.  I'm guessing, as I certainly do not know, that this is some kind of special charter trip, as the train left there shortly after filling the tender with water, and proceeded up the line.  There is no story that I have found any where else and I do not do facebooking of any kind because I do not like Facebook at all.  This is all I know.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/02/23 07:40
Author: bigsavage

CO1309 Wrote:

Pete Lerro charters today through Feb. 9th. C&O lettering just for these events. Plenty of public places to shoot along the line if you don't or can't participate.
FB complainers are part of collateral damage from social (unsocial) media.
Easy to get on his e-mail list and be informed about upcoming events, as I was and have been since 2019.
Ha-Ha

Date: 02/02/23 11:38
Author: A-1

From what I've gathered, Lerro posted something about how this charter's "freeloaders will be disappointed". Not sure what was done to deliberately disappoint them, though. People poke fun at it, also pointing out that if it's visible from a public place then they're within their rights to snap a photo. It's easy to see both sides,though. Running them is not cheap, and he's running them as a business so it has to be worth his while to arrange. But, I've been on hand for them before and they don't look like something I'd pay to participate in, especially for several days. Staged photos with community theater actors, way too pristine props and equipment, pudgy or old guys stuffed into WWII uniforms and women exhausting the Rosie the Riveter pose just don't do it for me. I'd pay a ticket price to chase a steam hauled freight with a runby or two for a day, though.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/02/23 12:22
Author: Cumbresfan

A-1 Wrote:
> From what I've gathered, Lerro posted something
> about how this charter's "freeloaders will be
> disappointed". Not sure what was done to
> deliberately disappoint them, though. People poke
> fun at it, also pointing out that if it's visible
> from a public place then they're within their
> rights to snap a photo. It's easy to see both
> sides,though. Running them is not cheap, and he's
> running them as a business so it has to be worth
> his while to arrange. But, I've been on hand for
> them before and they don't look like something I'd
> pay to participate in, especially for several
> days. Staged photos with community theater actors,
> way too pristine props and equipment, pudgy or old
> guys stuffed into WWII uniforms and women
> exhausting the Rosie the Riveter pose just don't
> do it for me. I'd pay a ticket price to chase a
> steam hauled freight with a runby or two for a
> day, though.
>
> Posted from Android

Jay Wimer's "Chama Steam" trips on the C&TSRR beginning in 2002 and ending around 2015 did both - on some trips he sold "chaser passes" that showed location of some runbys, and on other trips runbys were in secluded areas, usually east of Osier, where access required hiking or there was no off-train access. Of course, with 64 miles of track there are lots of places for both to be staged. Jay's last months were in hospice and he passed away last February in Livingston, Texas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/23 12:24 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 02/02/23 12:29
Author: dan

Jay is missed!

Date: 02/02/23 12:39
Author: bmoore765

I was on an Ohio Central photo charter in the early 2000's where they tied the auxiliary tender to the front of 6325 between runby spots and then take it off at the secluded runby locations.  It was a lot of extra work on the crew's part, but basically ruined any would be freeloader pictures. That drew a tremendous amount of negativity as well. The fact is, you have a small group paying hundreds of dollars for the exlusive photo opportunity. The last thing they want is to see better pictures popping up from people who didn't pay a dime.

Date: 02/02/23 12:59
Author: ClubCar

bmoore765 Wrote:
> I was on an Ohio Central photo charter in the
> early 2000's where they tied the auxiliary tender
> to the front of 6325 between runby spots and then
> take it off at the secluded runby locations.  It
> was a lot of extra work on the crew's part, but
> basically ruined any would be freeloader pictures.
> That drew a tremendous amount of negativity as
> well. The fact is, you have a small group paying
> hundreds of dollars for the exclusive photo
> opportunity. The last thing they want is to see
> better pictures popping up from people who didn't
> pay a dime.

I agree with this as "Free Loaders" have always been a problem of the railroad fans in that so many people are willing to pay to ride a trip and/or to pay to have an exclusive photo spot.  The real problem with those who do not wish to donated a dollar towards these experiences because they are cheap and they feel they are entitled to anything that they can obtain for free.  The worst part of these free loaders is when they show up someplace and then get in the way of the paying people who are trying to take photos.  This is grossly unfair.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/02/23 14:40
Author: Frisco1522

ClubCar Wrote:
> bmoore765 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was on an Ohio Central photo charter in the
> > early 2000's where they tied the auxiliary
> tender
> > to the front of 6325 between runby spots and
> then
> > take it off at the secluded runby locations. 
> It
> > was a lot of extra work on the crew's part, but
> > basically ruined any would be freeloader
> pictures.
> > That drew a tremendous amount of negativity as
> > well. The fact is, you have a small group
> paying
> > hundreds of dollars for the exclusive photo
> > opportunity. The last thing they want is to see
> > better pictures popping up from people who
> didn't
> > pay a dime.
>
> I agree with this as "Free Loaders" have always
> been a problem of the railroad fans in that so
> many people are willing to pay to ride a trip
> and/or to pay to have an exclusive photo spot. 
> The real problem with those who do not wish to
> donated a dollar towards these experiences because
> they are cheap and they feel they are entitled to
> anything that they can obtain for free.  The
> worst part of these free loaders is when they show
> up someplace and then get in the way of the paying
> people who are trying to take photos.  This is
> grossly unfair.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

John, that's why ballast is a convienent size to chuck at the ones who get in the way.

Date: 02/02/23 15:06
Author: BKLJ611

CO1309 Wrote:

Lerro Photography has a photo charter operating at the WMSR this week. Lerro had the locomotive repainted into its C&O livery using a wax based paint that can be easily removed later.

Earlier this week Lerro posted on his Facebook page that “If you plan on freeloading and chasing our photo charter in between our photo locations, you’re going to be very disappointed.” He attached a photo of 1309 wearing a large banner across the front of the locomotive to ruin the photos of non paying “chasers.”

This caused the uproar on Facebook.

He later posted this response: “I would like to clarify a few things:

1. The small banner on the front is only to deter the small group of railfans who choose to trespass and be a nuisance to the locals. Although we have no control over public areas we can make it less desirable for those trying to take photos. We do not want the locals to be upset at the RR because a few railfans decide to trespass. It has happened before we don't want it to happen again.

2. We are not worried about the general public and the locals seeing the engine. It is not them who cause the issues. We want them to enjoy seeing it. Most of them won’t even notice the banner in the front. There have even been instances where we invited the general public to hang out in the photoline with us.

3. The people complaining about the banner and the cost of the charters have no idea how much money and effort goes into making these photo shoots happen. We work very hard to make sure these charters are historically accurate and exclusive. There are business costs that go into providing a charter as well. We also choose to keep the group size to a minimum so that we can go to smaller areas and each photographer can have an opportunity for good photographs. Therefore the cost may seem high to some but you are paying value. Our goal is for photographers to have a good time, make friends and come away with photographs they are proud of. These paying customers also in turn help the railroad, which is more than can be said for some railfans.

I will not apologize for the time and effort that goes into making these photo shoots happen. I would just ask that you respect those people who do choose to pay money for the charters. These photo charters would not run if it weren’t for the people paying for it.”

The head of the WMSR, Wesley Heinz, also replied: “Mr. Lerro, the staff of the WMSR appreciates your willingness to promote preservation by conducting professional photo charters all across the country. As the executive director, and as a railfan, I understand the very real expense of operating equipment, paying for commodities, and having a company to support these incredible machines that fascinate so many. I think your banner says what needs to be said and isn't offensive. What I do find offensive are the constant calls, messages, and intrusions into our daily lives that are made in the name of WANTING something for NOTHING. We at WMSR raise our glasses...to a safe, brilliant, and beautiful photo session with your group. And, THANK YOU ALL.”

I fully agree with Wesley and Lerro. A bunch of freeloaders are just upset they can’t freeload. Oh well.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/02/23 18:46
Author: RuleG

To all those commenting negatively in this thread about Facebook: It is the original source in about East Broad Top #16 being steamed up as posted yesterday on Trainorders.

Date: 02/02/23 18:51
Author: callum_out

They had to Photoshop the stegasaurus out of the picture but something like 65 years ago there were pictures
in TRAINS of a trip on the Sierra with sheets hung out over the drivers! It certainly isn't a new phenomena.

Out 

Date: 02/02/23 20:47
Author: austin

Pete and the lerro charter crew as well as many others across the country have helped clean up the foliage and tree cleaning to produce photos like this. Please donate to the fund and appreciate the head guy who pays the ultimate time and effort to execute a first class photo shoot... Congratulations Pete to a job well done.
Jeff

Posted from Android

Date: 02/03/23 09:12
Author: aehouse

The Lerro charters are superbly organized events, and operated as a business. I have NO sympathy for whiners complaining that Lerro takes measures to assure that his customers get their money's worth, and that those who choose not to pay don't.

Art House

Date: 02/05/23 20:31
Author: LocoPilot750

I can see all the photos or videos of 1609 I can digest on here, or on FB, better than I could ever take, stay warm, and never leave the house. So I'm a freeloader too I guess.

Date: 02/05/23 21:59
Author: wcamp1472

I WISH it was a 1609!!

C&O 1600s were 2-6-6-6s..... there's 2 remaining!

W

Date: 02/06/23 05:17
Author: MaryMcPherson

I have little sympathy for people complaining that they can't swoop in and get great shots on a charter they aren't part of.  I've never been on one, as getting the time off to jive with an annoucement is problematic.  Oh well... that's my problem.

This thread brought to mind a humorous list I once saw based on the theme of the Jeff Foxworthy redneck jokes, but in this case it is "You know you're an idiot railfan if..."

It's still around.  Enjoy if you haven't seen it.

You know you're an idiot railfan if: (mswphoto.com)

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0877 seconds