Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Steam & Excursion > ORHC Turntable Spoke Forms are off

Date: 02/08/23 14:28
ORHC Turntable Spoke Forms are off
Author: Jsporseen

Happened to go by the ORHC and all the forms for the spokes have been removed and are being taken from the pit.

Also, while I was shooting the short video, a friend walked up.  His name is familiar to those of you who have followed all these TT pictures the last few months.  If you want to know who that person is, you'll have to watch the video and, in the last fifteen seconds, you'll find out who I am talking about.  That is, if you have your audio turned on.

JOHN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/23 17:26 by Jsporseen.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/08/23 14:36
Re: Forms Are Off
Author: wabash2800

Oh, I was thinking your visitor might be Doyle... <G>

Victor Baird

Date: 02/08/23 19:00
Re: ORHC Turntable Spoke Forms are off
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

"....If you want to know who that person is, you'll have to watch the video and, in the last fifteen seconds, you'll find out who I am talking about.  That is, if you have your audio turned on...."

Sounded like "alrighty here" but my hearing isn't the best as the VA's $165.92/month compensation attests.

Date: 02/08/23 19:10
Author: wabash2800

It was our beloved Arlen!

Victor Baird

Date: 02/08/23 19:25

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was our beloved Arlen!
> Victor Baird

Thank you. I got part of the first syllable correct.

Date: 02/08/23 21:37
Author: BoilingMan

Wow- this film, with the construction guys in it, gives a better sense of scale.. it’s HUGE!
SR

Date: 02/08/23 21:49

You are right.  I really hadn't thought of it in that way.
JOHN

Date: 02/08/23 23:26
Author: asheldrake

Thanks for your posting John and the conversationt.   I agree, the size is impressive.....time for another overhead shot via the MLK Viaduct.   We must be getting close to back filling the outside of the ring with concrete rubble. Arlen

Date: 02/09/23 04:36
Author: agent1522

WOW! Very impressive.  I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project whenever I visit the PNW next.

Date: 02/09/23 08:01
Author: BlaineM

After watching this great construction series a question comes to mind?  Now the concrete work is in it's final stages.  Is there anyone knowing the total number of yards of cement contained in this project?  It looks to be impressive.
Blaine
American Fork 

Date: 02/09/23 08:47
Author: wingomann

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow- this film, with the construction guys in it,
> gives a better sense of scale.. it’s HUGE!
> SR

I was thinking the same thing.

Date: 02/09/23 11:04
Author: wcamp1472

The concrete supplier, and their accountant, would know the number
of cubic yards of concrete that was sold & delivered  to this customer...
and to this site.

W.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/23 16:00 by wcamp1472.

Date: 02/09/23 15:29

This is just a panoramic view, again taken from my favorite spot, showing that six of the eight wedges have been cleaned out.  Taken about four hours ago.

Arlen in another thread says that he has heard that crushed concrete will be going in next around the outside.  I believe he is most likely correct.

As one who has not seen anything like this before and honestly no idea if this is the case, will it be done in layers so that compacting can take place as the material is put in.  The closest thing I've seen to this is when I lived in Heppner, OR 40 years ago and a 145 foot high earth fill dam was put in just outside of town and they did exactly that, layer after layer and compacting each one till the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/23 15:31 by Jsporseen.

Date: 02/09/23 18:14
Author: Railbaron

The question was raised last week (???) if they would fill the area between the "spokes". Anybody have an idea if this will happen or is the pit construction basically done other than the bridge being installed?

Posted from Android

Date: 02/10/23 12:45

Rumors do fly but one, and I think it's credible, is that the bridge is going to go in and then the trucks will go in afterwards.  I'm never been involved with anything like this so I have no idea how in the holy _ _ _ _ they will accomplish that.  The little control cabin that goes on one end of the bridge apparently could not be saved when the TT was pulled from the Brooklyn Yards so one of ORHCs volunteers who is a master woodworker is building a new one that I assume will look old and like the original.  They will also need to fly in the electricity using that U shaped gizmo in the middle.  I don't even know what to call it.

JOHN

Date: 02/10/23 19:22

No idea where this picture came from but it is the Brooklyn Turntable way back when.  Previously I called the thing in the middle a U shaped gizmo.  Can somebody please tell me what it should be correctly called?  The only word that comes to my mind right now is "Gantry".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/23 19:26 by Jsporseen.

Date: 02/10/23 21:44

The small gizmo at the top of the U-shaped large gizmo (gantry) are electrical slip rings which:
"...Slip rings are a mechanical device that allow the transmission of electrical power and signals from a fixed point to a rotating device..." 
=16px 

Date: 02/11/23 05:59

Lurch:  Thank You

Apparently I got the Gantry part right but had no idea about the term Electrical Slip Rings.  Now it's obvious to me that a device like that would be needed.  I assume that the ESR used on the turntable in the past would have to be replaced with a new one but maybe the gantry itself was saved and rehabilitated.  (Maybe Arlen could ask about that) The old gantry would be historically spectacular on the old turntable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/23 06:21 by Jsporseen.

Date: 02/11/23 12:02
Author: johnsweetser

Jsporseen wrote of the photo he posted showing the old Brooklyn roundhouse:

> Previously, I called the thing in the middle a U shaped gizmo.  Can somebody please tell me what it should be correctly called?  The only word that comes to my mind right now is "Gantry".

It's called a power arch, since it is the means electrical power is supplied to the turntable ("Gantry" is not the correct term).

Date: 02/12/23 12:56

Thanks.  I like the term "Power Arch" better than Gantry anyway.  I suppose you noticed I didn't say that Gantry was correct, I just didn't know but Power Arch not only is correct, I'm sure, but it is also a far better description.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0683 seconds