Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Steam & Excursion > Why no night ops?

Date: 12/16/03 14:18
Why no night ops?
Author: CPRR

My wife wants to know why all mainline steam ops do no move at night? I told her that is is a safty issue, not to mention there are not many steam hoggers out there. Am I right?

Date: 12/16/03 14:29
Re: Why no night ops?
Author: nycman

We railfan photogs would have a fit. It's hard enough to get posed night shots. Most fans who ride and photograph the specials want to SEE everything that they can.

Date: 12/16/03 16:38
Author: wabash2800

Sometimes they run at night when they're late because of delays caused by other railroad traffic, mechanical failure (never happens) or a potential "darwin award" recipient. The last item just about guarantees a 2 hour delay.

I usually don't mind, because I feel I'm getting more time for my buck. Anybody else not in a hurry to get home?

Date: 12/16/03 21:13
C&TS Moonlight Trains
Author: WoodwardEJ

As recently as 2001 (and perhaps 2002), Cumbres and Toltec ran several Moonlight trips from Chama to Osier and back - always on nights with a full moon. The one we rode in early August 2001 left Chama about 3:00 pm, made at least two photo runs between Chama and Cumbres, and arrived at Osier about 6:30 pm if I remember correctly. After a steak dinner with live entertainment, we boarded the train about sunset to make our way back to Chama.

Unfortunately, a large thunderstorm completely blocked any sign of the moon, and this special train used the old boxcar coaches which had no lighting, so it was a very dark trip back to Chama. However, it was quite interesting to watch the headlight illuminate the ROW and see the glow every time the fireman opened the firedoor door to add a scoop of coal. We arrived back in Chama about 11:00 pm.

I hope that C&TS can get enough engines operable to run more moonlight trips in the future.

I see that the Durango and Silverton offers a night train on New Years Eve. I suspect they will offer a few evening runs next summer as well; although their web site doesn't have the 2004 summer schedule yet.

Note - the photo of 497 was taken in 1999.

Jim Woodward

Date: 12/17/03 00:47
Author: clem

The Freedom Train (1976 edition) did operate at night. It didn't have to cater to paying fans.

Date: 12/17/03 08:46
Author: HaggisKennedy

I rode a 261 excursion that went into night. Got back to the station around 10pm (departure was 7am that morning). Lost time in two places; the barbecue lunch for the riders, and a mixup during a watering stop for the tender; the guy in charge brought a hose that was an inch or two undersized.....

I think we only went into the hole once; for an EB Z-train while we were east of Staples MN.

:D

Kennedy

Date: 12/17/03 10:10
Easy answer....
Author: shay1925

Same thing that a HVAC man told me the Saturday morning I called him at 7 a.m. to see if he would come and replace the fan motor on my furnace: "I'd rather you call me first thing Saturday morning when I've got a full day of daylight to work on it (he didn't need it), than at midnight when it's cold, dark and raining."

Most trainmasters, mechanics and most crew prefer to be at home in bed at 2 a.m. instead of crawling on the ground with a flashlight looking for a nut that has come off the eccentric rod along a river.

Date: 12/17/03 14:57
Author: butch.g

We had night photo runs on the Western Maryland Scenic which was alot fun but on the other hand when your out all day on the excursion and then go to say about midnight or so it gets a bit tiring. Also the other thing with night photo sessions is that another crew is on hand to run and that means more $$$$ to pay for the excrusion.

Date: 12/17/03 22:26
3985 at night
Author: ChrisG

At the 1992 UPHS Convention in Cheyenne we did a eastbound night time return after dark over Sherman Hill. It was really quite a ride. There a story on my web site about it at
http://www.trainweb.org/chris/Trip_3985Sherman.html

Enjoy,

Chris

Date: 12/18/03 05:57
3751 at night
Author: puckeringswine

3751 ran late into Needles in 2002 and also arrived in Los Angeles well after sunset on the return trip.

Date: 12/18/03 06:21
Author: GE13031

Because 95% percent of the riders are NOT railfans and would not appreciate a night run.

Date: 12/19/03 10:43
Re: Cotton Belt 819 at night
Author: esinclair

I rode behind S.L.S.W. 819 both ways Pine Bluff to St. Louis and back in 1990 for the NRHS convention.
On the return trip, we didn' arrive back in Pine Bluff until almost 2:00 A.M. it was
beautiful, hanging out the vestibule door watching lightning bugs in the grass along
the right of way and seeing the red glow in the sky every time the fireman opened
the firebox door. Listining to that shrill whistle in the middle of the night, WOW!

Date: 12/20/03 18:21
Author: cblaz

During East Broad Top's Fall Spectacular (Columbus Day weekend) each year, they run two night trips that depart at 6:45 and 6:50 PM. By the time the trip returns, it is almost completely dark. It's a great experience to ride that trip behind steam, listening to the whistle echo off the mountains.
- Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds