Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Nostalgia & History > I can't believe it's been 30 years!

Date: 12/16/05 10:11
I can't believe it's been 30 years!
Author: UPNW2-1083

Thirty years ago 4449 was running down the Valley headed for the AFT display at the L.A. County fairgrounds. She was doing every bit of track speed here and notice the clean stack. Now that's how a steam engine should look. From December '75.-BMT

Date: 12/16/05 13:38
Re: I can't believe it's been 30 years!
Author: 6088

I too prefer the nice white steam clouds that follow the engine, looks way kewl.

As far as a clear stack, from the experts in the industry I have spoken with, isn't there supposed to be just a little grey exhaust for a perfect fire?

Date: 12/16/05 17:07
UPNW2-1083 and FT
Author: burlingtonjohn

With your permission, I would like to post these shots on the American Freedom Train Yahoo Group ... with full credit to both of you.

Regards,
Burlington John
List Owner/Moderator
American Freedom Train Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanFreedomTrain/
American Freedom Train Pictures Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanFreedomTrainPictures/

Date: 12/16/05 17:15
Re: UPNW2-1083 and FT
Author: FT

Burlingtonjohn,

I don't mind you posting my shot, as long as it's credited. I'm going to repost as I
needed to clean up the scan I rushed to post and I didn't get the contrast right the
first time.

Keith A

Date: 12/16/05 17:27
Author: FT

This is a repost to upgrade the scan.

When photographing steam. I much prefer a nice thick condensation exhaust to a "clear"
stack. This is mostly water vapor verses a black cloud ,meaning less than efficient use
of fuel. Part of the thrill,for me, of a steam chase is the steam, but each to their own.

Keith A

Date: 12/16/05 18:03
Re: steam
Author: pramer

The white 'smoke' is always all water vapor. Steam is a gas, therefore is colorless.
When a steam locomotive lifts its safety valve, one can see clear by the valve outlet. This clear is steam.

Date: 12/16/05 18:48
Author: burlingtonjohn

FT,

Your picture is now on the front page with my sincere thanks. Just wish I could have been standing next to you 30 years ago! Is it safe to assume that your shot was taken when 4449 was running eastbound to Chicago to take over the train from AFT #1?

Regards,
Burlington John
List Owner/Moderator
American Freedom Train Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanFreedomTrain/
American Freedom Train Pictures Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanFreedomTrainPictures/

Date: 12/18/05 01:56
Author: JohnSweetser

What valley is "the Valley?" (it can't be the San Joaquin Valley because it was overcast when 4449 and the American Freedom Train trasversed the San Joaquin Valley)

Date: 12/18/05 07:39
Author: czuleget

Also note the train did not have a canteen tender.

Date: 12/18/05 08:47
Author: UPNW2-1083

JohnSweetser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What valley is "the Valley?" (it can't be the San
> Joaquin Valley because it was overcast when 4449
> and the American Freedom Train trasversed the San
> Joaquin Valley)

I should have been more specific. It's the San Fernando valley near Sunland if I remember correctly. Not sure of the milepost today as Metrolink has renumbered the line through there.-BMT

Date: 12/18/05 10:56

Thanks for the clarification (for non-Southern California types, Sunland is a street in Sun Valley).

Date: 12/18/05 11:23

For further clarification, Sun Valley is a town in the San Fernando Valley (Sun Valley was also an SP siding. Don't know about its status on today's Metrolink).

Date: 12/19/05 00:35
Author: sploopconductor

At that time, MP471 was approx. 300 yards RR west (north) of Burbank Junction / Burbank Blvd., on the "Valley" (Saugus) line.

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds