Home Open Account Help 156 users online

Nostalgia & History > good ol' Northwestern Pacific steam

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/07/06 08:13
good ol' Northwestern Pacific steam
Author: TonyJ

I've been scanning more of the photos recently donated to our NRHS chapter by "Ken Route Ken" Shattock. I would like to share some of those on the Northwestern Pacific Railroad. This first one is 4-6-0 SP109 at an unknown location and date. - Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:15
Re: good ol' Northwestern Pacific steam

NWP 0-6-0 #227. Probably at Sausalito, CA. Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:16

Another shot of an 0-6-0; this time working at Tiboron, CA. Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:19

A fine looking ten-wheeler is 4-6-0 NWP172; formerly Las Vegas & Tonopah No. 8. Date and location unknown. Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:22

NWP 4-4-0 #9; formerly SF&NP #9 the "Marin". Built by Grant in 1883. It's shown here in stationary boiler service (probably Sausalito). Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:25

NWP 4-4-0 #53. According to Fred Stindt, "On its one and only trip over the Runssian River branch (December 1920) this engine was swept off the rails and turned over by a mud slide just across the river from Duncan Mills." Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:28

Baldwin-built 4-6-0 NWP #9 at San Rafael. No. 9 was originally CNW 1 and 30. Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:32

Here's a shot of two SP 4-6-2s leased to the NWP. They are SP3101 and SP3106. There's no date on the photo but both engines were leased to the NWP from mid-1939 to 1941. Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:33

How about a railfan special behind 4-6-0 #109? Here's the train at Tiburon, CA. Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:40

The same day of the railfan excursion, the railfans explored NWP's facility at Tiburon. Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:42

Here's another shot of the SP 4-6-2s and other engines at Tiburon. It looks like a leased SP 4-6-0 to the left of SP3101. Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:44

Here's a nice closeup of the Tiburon turntable with one of the 0-6-0s and the old pedestrian overpass in the background. - Ken Shattock collection, Tony J.

Date: 01/07/06 08:48
Author: JMaurer1

Thank you so very much for sharing these excellent images. While I was never blessed to be able to see steam on the NWP, she is the girl of my dreams and as long as people like you are around, the NWP will continue to live on.

Date: 01/07/06 09:04
Author: BobV

Was it the NWP that ran through Boyes Hot Springs, Fetters Hot Springs & Kenwood? Also Cloverdale? My grandparents lived a few blocks from the Fetters station & I remember the train whistles as a very young boy.

Date: 01/07/06 09:44
Author: samreeves

Great series of photos Tony. I guess you could call it Now Worth Photographing during that era.

Sam Reeves
—
http://www.samreevesphoto.com

Date: 01/07/06 10:25
Author: spnudge

Tony,
Thanks again for putting up more great photos.

Memories of that old Backshop, turntable, roundhouse and barge slip. I did take some pictures but only a few survive. The hostlers would let me ride with them as they took an early SD, the ones with the high spark arrestors and big can type Mars Lights, out of the Backshop and over to a garden track off the turntable. I do remember a steam engine parked on a garden track that was hooked up for stationary steam but have no idea what year it was and what engine it was. I do remember standing in the gangway when the hostlers lit it off and the fire jumped out and covered me with soot.

Thanks again,

Nudge

Date: 01/07/06 10:45
Author: KeyRouteKen

Tony J. and All-
The FIRST photo in this series was taken on the old "Glen Ellen Branch" of the NWP...

I'm glad that Tony and his NRHS group in Medford can be custodians of these historic photos.
Cheers.

Ken Shattock

Date: 01/07/06 10:59
Author: dmaffei

Great stuff Tony. Marin never looked as good. Glad to see "Key Route Ken's" father preserved those views of the NWP. Good to see his collection in such good hands.
I still want to walk the tracks from N. San Pedro Rd. in San Rafael to Novato some day.
Don't have to worry about rail traffic!
Dave

Date: 01/07/06 11:17
Author: dmaffei

BobV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was it the NWP that ran through Boyes Hot Springs,
> Fetters Hot Springs & Kenwood? Also
> Cloverdale?

Yes...Love to see photos of Boyes Hot Springs. I vacationed there in the 70's with my Grandparents.

My grandparents lived a few blocks
> from the Fetters station & I remember the
> train whistles as a very young boy.

Date: 01/07/06 15:43
Re: good ol' Northwestern Pacific steam (more to come)

A little later I'll post more from Ken's collection, including one of the Tiburon Shops after a 1916 fire. - Tony J.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds