Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Nostalgia & History > Train time at Suison-Fairfield

Date: 01/09/06 12:27
Train time at Suison-Fairfield
Author: photobob

Train time at Suison-Fairfield was a little different back in 1960 when I took this shot. The southbound "Cascade", train #11 no relation whatsoever to the current #11, is shown arriving ontime. There was nothing more impressive then those Alcos hauling an 18 car train.

Photobob's website
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index1.html

Date: 01/09/06 12:40
Re: Train time at Suison-Fairfield
Author: TonyJ

Indeed, those were great days, Bob. Thanks! - Tony J.

Date: 01/09/06 13:24
Author: Betsy

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The
> southbound "Cascade", train #11 no relation
> whatsoever to the current #11, is shown arriving
> ontime.

Indeed! The fact that it is on time is proof that it bears no relation to today's #11. Love those PAs, BTW.

Elizabeth

Date: 01/09/06 15:57
Author: BobB

I rode 11 and 12 (and 9 and 10) a number of times in the early 1960s and one round trip over Christmas/New Years in 1968-69. Even from coach (where I languished except for the last trip) I could see the service decline every year, culminating in the dreaded automat car on 9 and 10. Nevertheless, despite its obvious and continuing attempts to get rid of passengers, the SP still ran the trains on time unless there was a specific problem, such as a derailment ahead. There is something to be said for timetable and trainorder operation, where keeping to the schedule is the simplest way to keep the railroad fluid. Now everything on the UP seems to be ad hoc day by day, and it can't run either its own trains or Amtrak on time.

Date: 01/09/06 16:38
Re: Too much time at Suisun-Fairfield
Author: TCnR

Had the fortune to spend some time at the station waiting last fall and noted that those classic columns are stamped Phoenix Iron Works Oakland and the restauraunt behind the depot makes a great Pastrami sandwich.

Date: 01/09/06 22:13
Author: atsf121

I love the old photos on this board, it's neat to see how things used to look. Especially of where I grew up. Ok, so I wasn't born yet when this photo was taken but do remember going to watch trains there as a kid in the 70s. Went to Armijo High School just a little ways from the station and used to run past there during track practice. And I just took my son and my dad (who my son calls hapa) for a train ride from that station this past weekend.

There are a number of changes since this photo (highway 12 overpass being the biggest) and I have a few questions: what's the 3rd track for behind the engines? I remember a track that SP used to park engines on, but it didn't seem to go that far. Also, I don't see the old main street crossing that was torn out years ago - is it just out of the picture? And finally, does anyone know how many SP trains used to stop at Suisun?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Date: 01/10/06 02:27
Author: topper

atsf121 Wrote:

> what's the 3rd track for behind
> the engines?

It was known as the Fair Main. I have no idea why. It connected with the siding that paralleled the Schellville Branch.

Date: 01/10/06 07:21
Author: RickL

I really like the way that shot is set up, framing the Pa's that way. Don't see that often enough.

Rick L.

Date: 01/11/06 19:01
Author: espeeboy

topper Wrote:
> atsf121 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > what's the 3rd track for behind
> > the engines?
>
> It was known as the Fair Main. I have no idea
> why.

hmmm, was there a Field Main too?

Date: 01/12/06 00:43
Author: topper

espeeboy Wrote:
> topper Wrote:
> -----
> > atsf121 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > > what's the 3rd track for behind
> > > the engines?
> >
> > It was known as the Fair Main. I have no
> idea
> > why.
>
>
> hmmm, was there a Field Main too?

No, but if it went all the was to Midland, Texas, that would explain the old addage "fair to midlin'".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds