Home Open Account Help 192 users online

Nostalgia & History > East Switch at Altamont--Then & Now

Date: 02/01/06 08:17
East Switch at Altamont--Then & Now
Author: shed47

Back in the fall of '79 Altamont Pass was one of the places to be as the Western Pacific was still running its Fab Four F-units over the pass between Stockton and Milpitas on a daily basis, even as the long term independence of the railroad was in doubt. In October of that year the WP913, with white flags flying, led the other three F's on a long eastbound approaching the east end of the summit siding.......

Date: 02/01/06 08:26
Re: East Switch at Altamont--Then & Now
Author: shed47

.......but as we fast forward 26 years to January 2006 things, rather surprisingly, have not changed that much. Welded rail has replaced jointed but wood ties remain on many straight sections, UP just had to repaint those WP signals and a few lineside signs have been added. On the non-railroad scene, a high voltage power line now parallels the line to the north at the summit. Another thing that has not changed is the use of vintage EMD power: UP2841-UP3400-UP814 lead a short eastbound LRS90(Warm Springs-Stockton Hauler) this past Jan. 19th. It's interesting to note that the UP2841(built as SSW9377 in 3/75) is older today, 31 years, than the WP913(built as WP920A in 1/50) was when I photographed it in '79 at 29 years old.

And, yes, the relay box still clicks away when the dispatcher has lined a route.

Date: 02/01/06 10:13
Author: trainmaster3

Nice use of the fast forward button. Makes me wish I could find and use the "Rewind";.)

Date: 02/01/06 12:19
Author: BNSFhogger

The fab four were wonderful. Wish I had seen the WP before the Yellow Peril took over.

Date: 02/01/06 13:20
Author: TV-10

Shed47 is a railfan God.

You need to get your pics up on your own website sometime!

Date: 02/01/06 14:25
Author: FriendlySP

BNSFhogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The fab four were wonderful. Wish I had seen the
> WP before the Yellow Peril took over.

The most wonderful part is that none were on fire that day. BG

Bob Knoll

Date: 02/02/06 16:54
Author: hogantunnel

Very nice past and present comparisons. Looks like they even painted over the bullet holes in the signal of the WP shot. But a telltale example of a major change in the Altamont is visible in the UP shot, the two vertical and unmistakable poles of the now ubiquitous windmills that mar the beauty of these once pristine hills.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0308 seconds