Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Nostalgia & History > B&O Solid Blue Nostalgia

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/04/06 05:17
B&O Solid Blue Nostalgia
Author: bandob

In the 1960's, B&O, like many other railroads, simplified its locomotive paint scheme. I can only imagine this was done as a cost-cutting move. Here's a 1965 Capitol Limited arriving at Silver Spring.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 05:18
Re: B&O Solid Blue Nostalgia

Another 1965 Capitol Limited at College Park, MD.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 05:20

The Geeps wren't immune from solid blue, either. This geep, originally used in passenger service as shown by the roof-mounted air tanks, sports a sunburst nose. Taken at Calvert Road, College Park, circa 4/95. You can see remnants of the College park station platform.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 05:23

Back in the mid-60's the University of Maryland had a coal-fired steam heat plant. Here's a delivery, by a freshly-painted FM unit.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 05:24

Here a Geep is making the U of MD coal delivery. circa 1966.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 07:06
Author: alco636

Great photos! Love that old B&O blue.

Date: 02/04/06 09:05
Author: RickL

Where was this spur? As a Terp, on the way to class (in the late 70's), I used to see the remains of a grade over behind the frat area, (other side of Rt 1 from the campus).
Was this the old spur?

Rick

Date: 02/04/06 09:48

The spur ran to the power plant, located behind the Campus Police Station at the intersection of US 1 and Rossborough Blvd. There used to be a temporary dorm, Damascus hall, and a dorm Trailer complex back there. The area looks very different now, at least on the map of the campus I pulled up on the Internet. There was no Paint Branch Parkway, etc. The one photo of the Capitol Limited in College Park shows it going over the small Paint Branch bridge. I'll check and see if I have more photos of the spur and post them.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 09:55
Author: RobJ

Can't get enough of these old shots. I notice the little girl at the edge straining to see things. Everyone is dressed up.
And railfans travelled lite then, if that is your camera bag and lunch, or of the person casting the shadow.

Bob Jordan

Date: 02/04/06 09:57

Here's a view of the spur to U. of MD in College Park, as it curves to join the main. That's the Capitol Limited going by in April 1965.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 09:59

Another view of the spur, this time with the National Limited. Yes, I know that is a CAPITOL LIMITED observation on the rear, but this WAS #1! April 1965. #5 had the obs. put on in Washington.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 10:01

Another view of the College Park spur, showing that a third track was also in use at the time. That's The National Limited with what looks like a CINCINNATIAN coach as the first car in the consist. April 1995.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 10:03

Lastly, the spur where the parking lot for Damascus Hall met Rossborough Blvd. The auto is heading in the direction of US 1.

It was a regular event to see coal delivered, by Geeps, FM units, or occasionally an F.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 10:55

Yes thats where I was thinking of - there was a signal base and some other artifacts back there but it was all grown over then.

Thanks for pulling me back there.

Rick

Date: 02/04/06 11:02
Thats it. Its funny but . . .

I've wondered about those things I would see going to class, but never thought to search it out until now. Almost thirty years later I have an answer.

Thanks

Rick

Date: 02/04/06 12:20

In 1964, some of the first versions of the all-blue scheme also had a sunburst on the E-noses. Here's the combined train from Cincinnati and Baltimore-Washington arriving at Plymouth, MI in August 1964. The trains combined in Toledo, I think. By 1964, I think the Baltimore-Washington train was called "The Capitol-Detroit" and the "Ambassador" name was gone.

And yes, that was my camera bag and lunch! <grin>

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 13:53
Kind of curious
Author: RobJ

You did get around on the B&O, was that rail trip, fan trip, visit. By Train?

Bob Jordan

Date: 02/04/06 14:27
Re: Kind of curious

All of the above. Rode the B&O to see family, took fan trips, lived in a dorm near the main, etc.

Bandob

Date: 02/04/06 18:49
Author: CNWJAG

Great shots! Its always nice to see photos of railroad "backwaters" such as the spur into the U of M steam plant. Local railroaders claim that the last revenue move on the U of M spur was actually a boxcar full of "feminine hygene products"!

--jag

Date: 02/04/06 21:45
Author: chakk

I think you mean 1965, not 1995, for the year of the photo with the Cincinnatian coach.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds