Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP E's on Superbowl Special - 1996

Date: 04/20/06 16:45
UP E's on Superbowl Special - 1996
Author: HUSKERHERB

Here's the westbound 1996 Superbowl special heading through the familiar rock formations of the Upper Narrows of Victorville, CA. Personally, I liked the E's best with the Union Pacific lettering above the numberboards.

Date: 04/21/06 01:54
Re: UP E's on Superbowl Special - 1996
Author: DRGW

HUSKERHERB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the westbound 1996 Superbowl special
> heading through the familiar rock formations of
> the Upper Narrows of Victorville, CA. Personally,
> I liked the E's best with the Union Pacific
> lettering above the numberboards.

That's one really cool picture Herb!
Thanks for sharing...
-Wes

Date: 04/21/06 06:14
Re: UP E's on Superbowl Special - 1996
Author: Red

HUSKERHERB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the westbound 1996 Superbowl special
> heading through the familiar rock formations of
> the Upper Narrows of Victorville, CA. Personally,
> I liked the E's best with the Union Pacific
> lettering above the numberboards

Great shot HUSKERHERB! Those UPRR E's have a LOT of good miles left on them, having had power assemblies replaced, fresh paint with two coats of Clear Coat, and, now, a cab-mounted AC that is barely noticeable, artfully concealed under the forward UP-standard deflector shield. They've never been better.

But I agree with you ONE THOUSAND PERCENT...I'd like to see the boldface red UNION PACIFIC lettering put back above the numberboards. It would be SO EASY to do. I realize the E's were delivered brand new without this lettering, and this is the era the Cheyenne "team" is currently trying to "model", but, I daresay they spent most of their service lives (and I'm talking revenue passenger service lives) with the red lettering...this is the way the units looked when Amtrak took over in 1971.

Our friend Copy19 currently prefers the units without the red lettering. Hopefully, he will have a change of heart, assume that enough photos have been taken of the units in their present configuration, and, arrange for the 30-minute per unit task of reapplying the red lettering. I'm sure it'll happen eventually. Would love to see the budget money freed up to reactivate the 2nd B-unit, also. I realize large sums were spent first rebuilding the 3985, then, most recently, the total rebuild/restoration of the UP 844. My dream is to see the full A-B-B-A set of E's running, with red nose lettering, before I retire.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds