Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Nostalgia & History > R&LHS Trip of a Lifetime---April 10, 1938

Date: 06/10/06 21:34
R&LHS Trip of a Lifetime---April 10, 1938
Author: KeyRouteKen

April 10, 1937--- R&LHS Trip on the Caspar, South Fork & Eastern RR at Caspar, CA , 5 miles South of Ft. Bragg..
The locomotive is articulated mallet # 7, "SAMPSON"..

I didn't know if I had shared this view with you guys before--but here it is.
The "young man" sitting in front over the link and pin coupler area is the late TED WURM, well known rail historian..
Ted was only 19 years old on this trip. Enjoy.

KRK

Date: 06/12/06 20:23
Re: R&LHS Trip of a Lifetime---April 10, 1938
Author: TonyJ

Ken,
I don;t think that was a railfan trip. Instead I think the photo was taken when railroads were forced to use larger crews. Let's see, in your photo there is the engineer, fireman, conductor, head brakeman, ass't enginner, assistant to the assistant engineer, conductor apprentice, 2nd head brakeman, engine wiper, assistant engine wiper assitant fireman......

Tony J.

Date: 06/12/06 21:34
Author: LOGGERHOGGER

Here is another shot taken that day. This shows CSF&E #7 at the general offices for the railroad
at Casper, CA. This building is still standing. I wish the #7 had been saved. Unfortunately she was scrapped in 1958 (20 years after this excursion and 10 years after the railroad shut down.
I have her builder's plate on my wall to remind me of this beautiful little 2-6-6-2.

Martin

Date: 06/13/06 10:47
Author: KeyRouteKen

Martin-- Are you sure of your info, Sir.. I thought that SAMPSON was scrapped about 1947..

Plus, your photo did not appear. What happened.

KRK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds