Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Nostalgia & History > R/W/B Happy 4th of July

Date: 07/04/06 14:46
R/W/B Happy 4th of July
Author: SP6190

This wasn't taken on the Forth of July, nor is it on the Freedom Train. But it is the 4449 in red white and blue on the Southern Railway ferry move from Birmingham AL, to Alexandria VA. The date is August 29, 1976, the location is Greensboro NC.

Date: 07/04/06 21:39
Re: R/W/B Happy 4th of July
Author: xtra1188w

This is a pretty picture.

Con

Date: 07/05/06 13:32
Author: agentatascadero

Could this be the celebrated run which was written up in Trains mag? The run that shocked steam affectionados from the eastern seaboard with it's display of power and speed on the Southern RR hill and dale main line, where output was estimated to be 5500 drawbar HP, or equal to 2 1/2 E's? Perhaps it's because they just look too pretty to be considered serious power to those, apparantly that would be most of railroad and railfandom, who don't know or haven't witnessed their performance, as I think the GS class may be the most disrespected of all the major 4-8-4 groups. I think that one single run did more to put 4449 and the GS class on the serious steam map. I've suffered too many remarks about it's sissified (not even a real steam engine) looks, and "after all, it's only pulling (American Freedom Train) 1200 tons, anything could do that." I've seen these beauties outperform AC's in freight service on level ground.

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/05/06 16:18
Author: SP6190

Could be.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0287 seconds