Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Nostalgia & History > Two Views of the Gooseneck

Date: 08/21/06 23:32
Two Views of the Gooseneck
Author: MacBeau

I freely confess an absolute fascination with the track-work in Kansas City, MO, especially around that general area known as “the Bottoms” which stretch from Santa Fe Junction, State Line Junction, and BN Junction (they are all a stone’s throw apart) past Old Union Depot Interlocking and the Gooseneck just beyond.
In the first frame, a solitary BN SD40–2 enters the Gooseneck from the west off the old Frisco. An eastbound UP coal train is viewed looking back from the other side. Both images were taken on the same afternoon April ’92, but I don’t think the bridge I shot the second image from still exists.

Be of Good Cheer,
—Mac

Date: 08/22/06 02:57
Re: Two Views of the Gooseneck
Author: snoopy51

WOW what a drop down to the lower level
hope the Centenials dont hit its belly...loll
your .........snoopy

Date: 08/22/06 07:18
Author: BNSFhogger

That track that goes to the lower level is called "The Slide" if I remember correctly.

Date: 08/22/06 07:28
Author: Espee4Ever

Great photos Mac. I like how the track work down in the Gooseneck is put together. I have down some shooting around KC and wish I had the time and money to go again. Thanks for sharing.

--espee4ever

Date: 08/22/06 10:58
Author: NscaleMike

Great images and perspectives Mac!

Date: 08/22/06 20:39
Author: QU25C

MacBeau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I don’t think the
> bridge I shot the second image from still exists.
>
> Be of Good Cheer,
> —Mac

Your right its gone. bummed me out this summer.

Date: 08/23/06 09:33
Author: dschlegel

QU25C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MacBeau Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> I don’t think the
> > bridge I shot the second image from still
> exists.
> >
> > Be of Good Cheer,
> > —Mac
>
> Your right its gone. bummed me out this summer.

There was a show on the History or Discovery channel about a contractor removing a bridge over tracks in KC, aired maybe a month ago. It may have been mega-movers or something along those lines. There were some neat shots of BNSF trans running through the area while the bridge moving contrator got ready to hoist and move the bridge to its new location at another spot in town.

Anyone know if this was the same bridge and section of rail from this show?

Date: 08/23/06 19:37
Author: ProAmtrak

I take it it was part of the project to ease congestion in KC I bet too. Anyone know if Santa Fe Jct. still looks the same from the Pentrex tape Kasnas City Rails?

Date: 09/17/14 14:21
Author: Chooch

Great thing for a modeler to build.

Jim

Date: 09/17/14 14:31
Author: gandydancer4

Let's face it. There are a TON of great places to rail fan around the country: Cheyenne, Tower 55, Tehachapi, Chicago just to name a few and I've been to some of them but there is NOTHING like the KC Bottoms. I would take this spot around Santa Fe Jct as about the closest thing to heaven on Earth if you're rail fan. To those of you who have been there, you know what I'm talking' about. To those of you who haven't made it yet, put it on your bucket list.

Date: 09/17/14 17:51
Author: sliderslider

very cool spot and great photo of it

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds