Home Open Account Help 405 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Great One Game

Date: 10/09/06 16:07
The Great One Game
Author: MacBeau

Sometime back I put forth a theory on this board that was substantiated in short order and despite the late hour.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1198693,1198693#1198693
So here’s another chance for a member with an encyclopedic knowledge of 4449's travels to let it all hang out. For those with good detective skills, there is a plethora of visual clues to betray many of the juicy details, so have a good time and as always, thanks for looking.
Be of Good Cheer,
—Mac

Note: Please do not construe my tone as mocking or derisive—I am constantly in awe of the incredible wealth of knowledge on more than just railroading that surfaces here on TO.

Date: 10/09/06 18:23
Re:
Author: mdo

Well, obviously on the west end of LAUPT for starters.

Date: 10/09/06 18:25
Re:
Author: bnsfbob

Your photoshop skills are quite good.

Bob

Date: 10/09/06 18:56
Re:
Author: MacBeau

bnsfbob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your photoshop skills are quite good.

No, I only do that when I'm submitting to AP or Reuters. Had that been the case here, the whole bloody sky would have been filled. :>)
—Mac

Date: 10/09/06 19:14
Re:
Author: bnsfbob

MacBeau Wrote:
> bnsfbob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Your photoshop skills are quite good.
>
> No, I only do that when I'm submitting to AP or
> Reuters. Had that been the case here, the whole
> bloody sky would have been filled. :>)
> —Mac

I think the engine has only been at LAUPT twice since it was restored to Daylight colors. That would be 1984 and 1989. The shot is probably 1989 because that is about the time they started taking tracks out. The engine also appears to be running light and is definitely cruising for an LA County smoke ordinance citation.

Have I become entrapped by the intrigue? Bob

Date: 10/10/06 11:45
Re:
Author: PasadenaSub

The 4449 in Daylight colors also came south to LA in the spring of 1981, just after the first Railfair in Sacramento. I'm not sure if it called on LAUPT, though. I can recall ditching high school and chasing it with my dad, brother, and the late, great Carl Rogoza. Coming south, we set up for it at the north portal of the Newhall tunnel as it came down via Tehachapi. I believe the consist was the '49, an SP SD40R diesel, a new type of covered hopper for Polymers, and a passenger car or two. I recall it heading into Taylor yard that day, where the throngs surrounded the train despite being in yard limits. The train may have gone over to LAUPT for display until heading north about a week later?

Rich

bnsfbob Wrote:

> I think the engine has only been at LAUPT twice
> since it was restored to Daylight colors. That
> would be 1984 and 1989. The shot is probably 1989
> because that is about the time they started taking
> tracks out. The engine also appears to be running
> light and is definitely cruising for an LA County
> smoke ordinance citation.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds