Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Nostalgia & History > Cowls Across the Desert

Date: 10/20/06 05:32
Cowls Across the Desert
Author: CNW8531

It's show time in the desert on this 7th day of March of 1993, and the Santa Fe has just taken center stage. I was on my way from Needles to Barstow when I spied a headlight near Essex. Once the train got closer and I discovered what it had for power then the chase eastward was on! Several exposures later I ended up right back in Needles and Barstow would have to wait another day. I wasn't complaining though!
Here's just a couple of shots from that day of cowl motors 90-5254-5987, all elephant style, as they strut their stuff across the desert west of Needles. Gosh, how I miss the Santa Fe!!

Date: 10/20/06 05:41
Re: Cowls Across the Desert
Author: eljay

really nice pix of what sadly is now a long-gone era!

looks like that classic set of units drew duty on an H or M train, that day. eljay

Date: 10/20/06 07:27
Author: foamergirl

Absolutely beautiful. I miss the Santa Fe too. I like how those cowl units look, though I know very little about them.

Date: 10/20/06 08:44
Author: ATSF100WEST

What GREAT shots of a cool lash-up! The 90 (class unit - first cowl unit ever delivered), leading one of each of the other two types!

Thanks for sharing them.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 10/20/06 09:07
Author: GP30Frank

Only on the Santa Fe, could you get a shot like that!

Frank, in Tennessee

Date: 10/20/06 11:02
Author: NscaleMike

Cool images, looks like sandwiched in there is an ex Amtrak unit a SDP40F?

Date: 10/20/06 12:30
Author: zephyrus

Yes it is. Santa Fe got a clutch of them (18?) in trade for some switchers.

Here's a shot from the first time I ever saw the resurrected red and silver. April 1990. Wow that was a great scheme.

Z

Date: 10/21/06 14:17
Author: BarstowRick

I have a Video entitled "The Super Chief" by Sunday River Productions. In the program they introduce the FP45's as the "Ugly Duckling, all purpose cowl locomotive". Looking back at my own perspective. As the F7's slowly gave way to Alco or GE freight styled locomotives, I felt the professional, sharp, snappy streamline appearance was gone forever.

Then along came the FP45's and I remember thinking that this full bodied locomotive was the best thing to come along since the F7's. An appropriate head dress on Santa Fe's, best. In my opinion the ugly ducklings were the freight type units dressed up in the red warbonnet.

Later, at some point, the FP units dressed in freight blue was introduced. To see this combo operating on the point of Santa Fe's finest, was disgusting. I couldn't imagine any Santa Fe president putting up with or agreeing to such. Only to learn later that one of the presidents was seriously considering switching all red warbonnet units to the freight dress blues. Who'd of thought?

After Amtrak took over the passenger trains. It was a treat to see the FP types, pulling a freight. No doubt, they do look good in a lash-up.

That's it from my hole in the wall.

RickH

Date: 10/21/06 22:16
Noticed the ex- Red Breasted Railbreaker, too ... :-)
Author: prr4828

ATSF 5254, ex AMTK 635, or so sez:
http://rosters.gcrossett.com/atsf/pwr5250.htm

Love those F45's (and SDP's and SDF's and F40C's) ...

* JB *

NscaleMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool images, looks like sandwiched in there is an
> ex Amtrak unit a SDP40F?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds