Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Nostalgia & History > Where are the ten oldest diesels still operating in USA

Date: 10/26/06 14:57
Where are the ten oldest diesels still operating in USA
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

I was just wondering with the vast resources that many members of this site know from first hand knowledge and or other resources might be able to answer this question. Also if anyone knows the pedigree of many of these units because they are usually sold and recycled to new owners. thanks

Date: 10/26/06 15:52
Re: Where are the ten oldest diesels still operating in
Author: Evan_Werkema

SanJoaquinEngr Wrote:

> I was just wondering with the vast resources that
> many members of this site know from first hand
> knowledge and or other resources might be able to
> answer this question. Also if anyone knows the
> pedigree of many of these units because they are
> usually sold and recycled to new owners.

I've never seen such a list tabulated, and there would probably be a lot of wrangling about what "counts." Do "critters" count? Does "operating" include preserved locomotives that still run? How much rebuilding can occur before it's no longer valid? One of EMC's first switchers, Lackawanna's pre-production SC #426 built in 1935, still works for Genesee Valley Transportation's Delaware-Lackawanna. However, it lost its Winton 201A for a 567 years ago, and it would be hard to argue that the beautifully restored engine is a work-a-day, non-preserved locomotive.

If you're talking about non-preserved, single prime mover, railroad-size diesels, the answers are probably pretty unglamorous - 1939-vintage EMD SW1's and NW2's toiling in the shadows at industries, the handful of Alco HH660's that Relco may or may not still be leasing to grain elevators.

Date: 10/26/06 16:50
Author: rehunn

Amalgimated Sugar in Twin Falls has a totally original Phase 1 44 Tonner from I believe 1939 plus
a similar vintage Whitcomb. It'd be tough to put a list together because of the number of industrials
that rarely see the light of day (or at least the light for the lens to work)

Date: 10/26/06 16:53
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Yes i mean the engines that are still operating in revenue service... not ones that are entombed at railroad museums such as the units on display in Sacramento

Date: 10/26/06 17:22
Author: MRSLIDES

My vote goes to this 1937 GE 80 Tonner that is still in service today. International Terminal Warehouse was built for Republic Steel.

Copyright 1988 John C. Benson

http://www.bensonrailphotos.com

Date: 10/27/06 09:33
Author: MysticHowler

Isn't there an old ALCo HH660 working for Relco still?

Sean Tremblay
Omaha, NE

Date: 10/27/06 11:15
Author: MRSLIDES

I know this former Relco HH600 was still working for Behr at Portage, IN a few years ago. The heritage of this unit is DL&W 409/EL 324/Relco 603/Behr 603. Built in 1940.

Copyright 2002 John C. Benson

http://www.bensonrailphotos.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds