Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF SF Chief emerging from Glen Frazier Tunnel

Date: 11/28/06 22:12
ATSF SF Chief emerging from Glen Frazier Tunnel
Author: drew1946

A major photograpic problem with the West portal of ATSF's Glen Frazier tunnel was that morning shots were backlit. I guess a backlit photo is better than nothing so here is ATSF 339 leading the San Francisco Chief out of the tunnel one April morning in 1971. Just over a mile long, it was longest tunnel on the ATSF.

Date: 11/28/06 22:42
Re: ATSF SF Chief emerging from Glen Frazier Tunnel
Author: john1082

>>Just over a mile long, it was longest tunnel on the ATSF.

I had no clue

Date: 11/28/06 22:47
Author: drew1946

john1082 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>Just over a mile long, it was longest tunnel on
> the ATSF.
>
> I had no clue

I need to thank PDG for that info

Date: 11/29/06 06:15
Author: wabash2800

Did they have a ventilation system for that tunnel?

Date: 11/29/06 06:50
Nothing wrong with backlighting
Author: aehouse

I know that sun-on-the-nose is the name of the game in railfan photography, but I always liked "backside" lighting as shown in the shot of the Chief above. I always thought there was something neat about the headlights standing out against a darkened nose, especially so when the rest of the train is well lit from the side.

Art House

Date: 11/29/06 11:53
Author: Whiskers73

No, not that I recall. The wind could really blow through there sometimes. There were three niches inside tunnel three...just in case you got caught in there when a train came along. You had to rotate a metal staff in the shanty on either side of the portals...this would lower the semaphore arm on both ends to "stop" trains from entering. Even in July, I carried a jacket with me to work in there...got real cold. Lots of dead animals, as I recall. I hit a few with my motor car, on occasion. We often had to clear out the canal trench to allow water to run off...year round. The tunnels (1, 2 & 3)were built under the supervision of William Storey, Chief Engineer, AT&SF Railway. He later became President of the company...before Rippley. Not a great location to work...changing ties, etc. But a nice place to cool of...very quickly...on a summer day.

Damn...I'm really rambling like an old man...sorry.

Date: 11/29/06 13:42
Author: Evan_Werkema

drew1946 Wrote:

> A major photograpic problem with the West portal
> of ATSF's Glen Frazier tunnel was that morning
> shots were backlit.

Today, the major photographic problem is that there are so many scrubby trees on the slopes of that cut that it's next to impossible to get a shot like that anymore. It was pretty bad ten years ago, and it's only gotten worse.

Date: 11/29/06 18:26
Author: Pullman

Well here it was back in June with the family special. Taken from down trackside due to all of the brush.

Date: 11/29/06 18:50
Author: trkinsptr

Thanks for posting that photo.The F-units are the best match for the warbonnet paint scheme.I wish BNSF would bring back an A-B-B-A set for their business train fleet!
Colin Johnson

Date: 11/29/06 22:14
Author: JohnSweetser

It should be pointed out that the usual name for this tunnel is the Franklin Tunnel.

Whiskers73 wrote:

>You had to rotate a metal staff in the shanty on either side of the portals...this would lower the semaphore arm on both ends to "stop" trains from entering.

Pg. 23 of "Valley Division Vignettes" has photos of the staff machine and shanty at one of the ends of the tunnel.

Date: 06/13/22 13:33
Author: UP951West

Both images are a joy to see. Thanks for sharing with us. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds