Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Nostalgia & History > More Redlands

Date: 11/30/06 22:36
More Redlands
Author: MyfordBrowning

Here are some more area Redlands photos

1. This is the former PE line to North Redlands (Sunkist) on 7-15-72 running along San Bernardino Ave. The track ran along the side of the road to about Alabama St where there was a packing house. Beyond that point the tracks were in the edge of the road part and in the center of the street for the other part of the run to North Redlands where the was another packing house. I never saw a train on this part of the line (or the SP's Redlands Branch) despite information on when the trains used the branched from my long time friend SP brakeman/conductor M.A.Golson.
2. The loop local is setting out a cover hopper on the Redlands team track and will pickup the MTC at the Redlands Groves packing house on 3-4-84. The track between the reefer and the packing house was the SP spur that served shipper. The SP track was very light rail and was rolled by Scranton Steel in 1881.
3. Later on 3-4-84 the loop local is returning with an MTY from an industry that the Santa Fe started to serve when the SP abandoned service to Crafton. The AT&SF built a connection to the SP track to serve the facility at Crafton. The local has run to Mentone to run-around its train before returning to switch the plastic cars at Crafton. At this time the line was out of service beyond Mentone

Date: 11/30/06 23:09
Re: More Redlands
Author: sphauler

THANKS FOR SHARING !! It's very interesting to know about our local history.

Date: 12/01/06 06:54
Author: mococomike

Are any of these tracks still in use?

Date: 12/01/06 08:21
Author: ButteStBrakeman

MyfordBrowning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
. I never saw a train
> on this part of the line (or the SP's Redlands
> Branch) despite information on when the trains
> used the branched from my long time friend SP
> brakeman/conductor M.A.Golson.

Good man , that Bo Golson. Ask him someday about brakin' at Los Nietos......

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 12/01/06 09:06
Author: UPNW2-1083

MyfordBrowning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are some more area Redlands photos
>
> 1. This is the former PE line to North Redlands
> (Sunkist) on 7-15-72 running along San Bernardino
> Ave. The track ran along the side of the road to
> about Alabama St where there was a packing house.
> Beyond that point the tracks were in the edge of
> the road part and in the center of the street for
> the other part of the run to North Redlands where
> the was another packing house. I never saw a train
> on this part of the line (or the SP's Redlands
> Branch) despite information on when the trains
> used the branched from my long time friend SP
> brakeman/conductor M.A.Golson.
>

This track was still there 30 years later, when they dug up San Berdoo road for a water pipeline. The track was on the south side of the street and had been paved over. I think they got quite a surprise when they attempted to dig up the road and found the old PE tracks! If you have any more shots of the two branches, please post them. As Huel Howser would say; "this is part of California history", with a southern accent of course.-BMT

Date: 12/01/06 13:21
Author: HUSKERHERB

My grandparents on my mother's side maintained orange groves in the vicinity of San Bernardino Ave., west of the present day Route 30 crossing from Highland to Redlands. My grandfather ran the Redlands Heights Packing House along San Bernardino Ave. on the east side of Route 30 which supplied Sunkist. The packing house is on the north side of the road.

Date: 12/02/06 00:20
Author: n6nvr

The tracks were still there when they had the tunneling mishaps on Hollywood Boulevard in the Red Line construction days. and it's been quite a few years now but there was a San Diego car barn up in the North Park area that not only had the rails hidden in the concrete floor but had a couple more feet of concrete than the demo contractor expected. Needless to say the demolition took a lot longer than expected.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds